Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Giving tree at a middle school

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM
  • 14 Replies

Yesterday my daughter came home and said they had a giving tree at her school, she's in 7th grade. so I said great, grab an ornament and we'll go shopping.

Then she tells me that her teacher said she would rather all of the students just bring in cash and let her shop for the tree. Huh? Isn't the whole point of the giving tree to get the kids to go out and do something good for their community?

So she goes on to tell me that one of the requested gifts is a north face jacket and her teacher knows where she can get one for a good price. Which is great, because the odds of one family getting this child a north face is fairly low.....but IDK, something just doesn;t sit right with me. I don't like the idea of just sending in money. And then what about the rest of the tree?

If the teacher wanted to get this cild a north facem hwy doesn't she see if other teacher want to go in on this gift?

Odd right?

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughingTattoo
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I dont find it that odd honestly

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM
As a teacher id not want the burdon of shopping. Our students bring items in, and we collect them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommieT
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

that is a little odd, to have a specific item especially one that expensive, we have a giving tree where I work and my kids have it at their schools  but its mainly hats, gloves, and scarfs i've never heard of a giving tree having a list of items never anything big like a jacket. hummm?

christina0607
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I'm assuming she would be buying it on line. She didn't even give the kids an amount to bring in. I find the whole situation odd.

Quoting KairisMama:

As a teacher id not want the burdon of shopping. Our students bring items in, and we collect them.

lovemysnugbugs
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM
I find it a little odd too. Why even bother having the tree? I think kids would get more out of it by going out and picking something out for a kid on the tree.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I think the tree is for the whole school, but I hardly ever go to her school so I haven't seen it.

So even if it were for the whole school this whole class in now only buying for one child? That seems to leave a lot of kids out right? It's a huge school. There are only 15 classes in the whole school.

Quoting lovemysnugbugs:

I find it a little odd too. Why even bother having the tree? I think kids would get more out of it by going out and picking something out for a kid on the tree.

elle7777
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

That does seem odd, and honestly even if she is on the up and up she shouldn't put herself in the position of being custodian of cash because it looks improper.

christina0607
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I don't know if I really think she's taking the money...but you know, not everyone is honest, so she really could be. But yes it looks shady.

Quoting elle7777:

That does seem odd, and honestly even if she is on the up and up she shouldn't put herself in the position of being custodian of cash because it looks improper.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Maybe each class is sponsoring one family/child. I would call the front office and ask how they are doing the tree this year and you heard the teacher was trying to collect money to buy only one child their item.

mcwife86
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

id honestly tell my child to grab a person off that tree for herself OR you could always go to walmart and get one off of that tree or at your mall. there was one at our high school that i would pick from every years and our walmart has one where its for elderly people at nursing homes. i get one of off each and i enjoy being able to pick for myself. i dont think i would personally be ok with being told who to sponsor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN