Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

best craft kit for a novice at chrochet? ( 8 yr old)

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM
  • 8 Replies

my dd is really into learning to chrochet.  I want to get her a craft kit for christmas to help her learn.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a really good kit with easy instructions?

Everyone who supported slavery was free.  Everyone who supports abortion was born.  That, my friends, is how oppression works.  -Anonymous

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM
I don't know of any but if you go to Michaels or AC Moore, they may have something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM

thanks!  I know how to crochet simple stitches and can follow the weird abreviated instructions in books but I think all the books I have are far too advanced for dd.  I think learning to follow simple instructions and working with her hands with help with her hand eye coordintion and dexterity.  Thats something that she needs a little help with.  She has mastered the single stitch and is starting to learn to make a single stitch scarf. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I don't know of any but if you go to Michaels or AC Moore, they may have something.

Everyone who supported slavery was free.  Everyone who supports abortion was born.  That, my friends, is how oppression works.  -Anonymous

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I learned how to crochet by watching youtube videos. Just get your dd some yarn and a pack of crochet hooks of different sizes.

Then it is a good idea to learn these crochet stitches first:

ch= chain

ss= slip stitch

sc= single crochet

dc= double crochet

tc= treble or triple crochet.

When your dd feels comfortable with those basic stitches se can start making things. Dishcloths and hats are easy projects to begin with. You can find free downloadable patterns from websites such as

www.crochetpatterncentral.com

www.ravelry.com

I'll try to find the videos I learned from and post them here.

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Aha! Here are the videos I learned from in addition to other videos I found on youtube.

I think these ones were the best because it is easy to see: http://www.hassdesign.com/StitchLegend/

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:52 AM
I have blankets that my grandmother crocheted for me and my mom has knitted some beautiful things but I can't do any of that.

Quoting norahsmommy:

thanks!  I know how to crochet simple stitches and can follow the weird abreviated instructions in books but I think all the books I have are far too advanced for dd.  I think learning to follow simple instructions and working with her hands with help with her hand eye coordintion and dexterity.  Thats something that she needs a little help with.  She has mastered the single stitch and is starting to learn to make a single stitch scarf. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Thanks !

Quoting ballerina18:

Aha! Here are the videos I learned from in addition to other videos I found on youtube.

I think these ones were the best because it is easy to see: http://www.hassdesign.com/StitchLegend/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GaleJ
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:33 AM

You should check at your local bookstore for a Klutz book on crochet, while they can be just a bit pricey they're usually of excellent quality and when I was buying this kind of things as gifts for children they came with a starter supply of yarn and a hook.

matofour
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Buy her a lot of yarn, some needles. Maybe a klutz book (kids craft stuff).
Then find some good YouTube videos. There are some great ones it there for stuff like that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN