Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Please help me out here ...trying to make a point to my 10 yr old DD (about sleeping )

Posted by   + Show Post

Do your children over the age of 9 ..get you to sit beside them every night in order for them to fall asleep ? Or do they just go to bed at bedtime and go to sleep on their own ?

Do they wake up every night through out the night just to wake you up to come and sit with them so they can fall back to sleep? 

Do they have to find you every ten minutes ...

Do they expect you to spend EVERY waking moment with them ?? Or do they go off and do their own things a good deal of the time ? 

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
Jacqalyn
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM
No...They go to sleep on their own.
No... The only time they wake me up is when they are sick or if the hear something outside.
No...
No...They like to have time to themselves.
They are ages 8, 11, and 13

AMR320
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM
My older DD is 4 and plays on her own, puts herself to sleep. She does come get in our bed in the middle of the night on occasion but it is like once or twice a month. Even my 16 month old puts herself to sleep with her lullaby puppy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Sounds like your daughter needs a sibling.

annas_momma
by 1 Crazy Momma ♥ on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM
My daughter has been putting herself to bed since she was 3 1/2. (Well, minus a hug and kiss).

The only time he gets me when he wakes up is if she is sick or had a nightmare, and needs me to reassure her that it was only a nightmare.

She goes off and plays by herself all the time. She would rather play by herself and use her imagination than have me up her butt trying to play. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM

No my son was pretty autonomous by age 9

MWV85
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM

hell

fucking

no!

Meadowchik
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Nope, mine don't. 

The good news for you is that a 10yo unlike a 2yo can process reasoning and mental helps.  Helps, such as listening to a book-on-CD while they fall asleep, enjoying a nightlite when they wake up in the dark, reminding themselves to think of something pleasant, like a favorite memory or Christmas break. 

There are lots of things you can do to show you care, are there for them, and help them self-soothe during the night and at bedtime.  A quick chat and hug are sufficient from you directly. 

Good luck:)

terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM
My dad tucked me in until I left for college, it was our time together... He'd tell me family stories and I'd tell him about my day. Between school and sports and his job it was the only time we made sure we had so we could check in. I still talk to my dad often. If we couldn't for some reason (work out of town or I was out with friend like prom) I was fine sleeping without it. It was more tradition or habit than needed.

That being said the waking in the middle of the night is odd. Have you talked to her about why she does it (not just why it needs to stop)? I know my kids are very proximity sensitive, they have to be up my butt most of the time but they're under 5. Have you looked into the love languages? I know my kids thrive on touch and are always trying to touch me or me touch them. That's how they communicate and understand love best. Perhaps your daughters is time?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM

My DD's 4 and 6 put themselves to bed after hugs and kisses.  They close the door and go to sleep.  Sometimes they talk for 30 min.

Both my kids know how to fall asleep on their own, put themselves back to sleep, and don't need any assistance unless they are sick and need medicine in the middle of the night.  They can also play on their own and  I don't mean just with each other, but on their own.

angelgrl5200
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM
my kids 6 through 12 go to bed on their own. i tell them time to get ready for bed, they go wash hands and face, brush teeth, and get jammies on. then i say bed time and they get into bed on their own, me and SO go around and tuck them in and say goodnight! they have an hour of tv time and then i say lights out, and they go to sleep!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)