Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cheapest way to get a divorce...?

Posted by   + Show Post
Is there a cheapest way to get divorced? I want a divorce, would rather not go into detail. We talked today about it, and promised each other we would not get nasty (I know everyone says that).
I told him I want NOTHING but our son. He can have it all, and I'll get my own place with DS. I also have NO plan to to take any rights away as a father. I want them to be able to see each other as much as I can.

So can we do this without a lawyer? I really don't believe he will get nasty. His main concern our son, just like mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
M.I.A...P.O.W
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Even with minor children you can file yourself as long as everyone agrees with everything. If there starts to be a lot of nastiness on either side the judge will likely tell you to talk to a lawyer.

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Did they have minor children ?
My mom seems to think you can't do the easy divorce if kids are involved.

Quoting PEEK05:

Yep, my parents did.  They just did the paperwork themselves and filed at the courthouse.

Thank you TheGreatCthulhu for the siggy!!!!

http://homedonesouthernnails.blogspot.com/

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Haha =)
Welp that won't work...my son loves him to much lol

Quoting Paperfishies:

Bullets are pretty cheap.

I kid, I kid.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kagegirl
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Google Noncontested Divorce forms conneticut. When you print them off, also print up an indigency form and you can get your filing fee either reduced or free.

FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM

yes

Quoting Y2kmomma:

$379 ?

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Think it depends where you live.

In NJ i see 379 - no spousal signature required

all over the place.

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Ok, thanks!

Quoting M.I.A...P.O.W:

Even with minor children you can file yourself as long as everyone agrees with everything. If there starts to be a lot of nastiness on either side the judge will likely tell you to talk to a lawyer.

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Did they have minor children ?
My mom seems to think you can't do the easy divorce if kids are involved.

Quoting PEEK05:

Yep, my parents did.  They just did the paperwork themselves and filed at the courthouse.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Ok. Thank you.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

yes

Quoting Y2kmomma:

$379 ?

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Think it depends where you live.

In NJ i see 379 - no spousal signature required

all over the place.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahsAMommy
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Yes you can do it without a lawyer. And if you really do everything nicely, then all you need to do is have it notierized (sp?) which you can do at a bank or even a court house. There is a fee for it. But it's nothing like if you both went to lawyers. Also, you can print all your own papers off the net. Just make sure they are the correct ones.

Master_Debater
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM
My husband's divorce took $115 and 3 months. It always depends on state/county. Call your clerk's office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM

If you agree all you have to do is fil. It's 300 around here, both sign and wait till its final.

RigPrincess85
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM
You can pick up the paperwork at the courthouse, my husband did this with his ex but ended up having to get a lawyer because they had a child. Then you're dealing with custody, child support, jurisdiction etc.

I would recommend getting a lawyer because there are so many things that should be in a decree that you wouldn't think of. If y'all are civil and file no contest it will be a quick and easy thing and usually lawyers aren't crazy expensive for no contest.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)