Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cheapest way to get a divorce...?

Posted by   + Show Post
Is there a cheapest way to get divorced? I want a divorce, would rather not go into detail. We talked today about it, and promised each other we would not get nasty (I know everyone says that).
I told him I want NOTHING but our son. He can have it all, and I'll get my own place with DS. I also have NO plan to to take any rights away as a father. I want them to be able to see each other as much as I can.

So can we do this without a lawyer? I really don't believe he will get nasty. His main concern our son, just like mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Replies (21-30):
CjEmmemommy
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Yea, my parents did a divorce without lawyers, when I was grown but my brother was still him. It was fine in 60 days I think.

Quoting M.I.A...P.O.W:

Even with minor children you can file yourself as long as everyone agrees with everything. If there starts to be a lot of nastiness on either side the judge will likely tell you to talk to a lawyer.

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Did they have minor children ?
My mom seems to think you can't do the easy divorce if kids are involved.

Quoting PEEK05:

Yep, my parents did.  They just did the paperwork themselves and filed at the courthouse.

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Everything I have seen online says we will still have to wait the 90 days. Also I will still have to serve him which I really didn't want to have to do.

Quoting Master_Debater:

My husband's divorce took $115 and 3 months. It always depends on state/county. Call your clerk's office.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM
My divorce was uncontested, all I wanted was my son. It cost us a total of $500 and took a year to be completed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I'm not sure :) but good luck!

Michelle2003mom
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I paid for mine. Picked up the papers and filed. The filing fee was $326 with kids. Filed in July 2012, officially divorced on 11/29.

We weren't nasty to each other. Surprisingly, since it was a horrible marriage.

mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM
In my state, you have to be legally seperated for a year if children are involved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arwyn724
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:33 PM

All that means is you hand him the papers.  If you are both being civil, there's no problem, and it saves paying a processor to do it.

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Everything I have seen online says we will still have to wait the 90 days. Also I will still have to serve him which I really didn't want to have to do.

Quoting Master_Debater:

My husband's divorce took $115 and 3 months. It always depends on state/county. Call your clerk's office.

FunnyKids
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

This....and don't worry, if at anytime he changes his tune the court will let you get a lawyer and go from there so you should be pretty safe to do it this way

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes Pick up the paperwork from court house or print it off at home.  You will be charged to file but the paperwork is free.

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM
I don't have any money for a lawyer =\

Quoting FunnyKids:

This....and don't worry, if at anytime he changes his tune the court will let you get a lawyer and go from there so you should be pretty safe to do it this way

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes Pick up the paperwork from court house or print it off at home.  You will be charged to file but the paperwork is free.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhaney03
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

is there waiting period where you live?  wait the waiting period, then file a no-fault divorce yourself if that is available in your state.  I did and it was less than $200

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN