Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cheapest way to get a divorce...?

Posted by   + Show Post
Is there a cheapest way to get divorced? I want a divorce, would rather not go into detail. We talked today about it, and promised each other we would not get nasty (I know everyone says that).
I told him I want NOTHING but our son. He can have it all, and I'll get my own place with DS. I also have NO plan to to take any rights away as a father. I want them to be able to see each other as much as I can.

So can we do this without a lawyer? I really don't believe he will get nasty. His main concern our son, just like mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
SilverOcean84
by Cindy on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Your welcome! Good luck with your divorce

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Thank you very much!

Quoting SilverOcean84:

If a lawyer is needed at any point try contacting the Connecticut Women's Education and Legal Fund ( http://www.cwealf.org/). They help those who can not afford it.

Quoting Y2kmomma:

I don't have any money for a lawyer =\

Quoting FunnyKids:

This....and don't worry, if at anytime he changes his tune the court will let you get a lawyer and go from there so you should be pretty safe to do it this way

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes Pick up the paperwork from court house or print it off at home.  You will be charged to file but the paperwork is free.

cowboygal
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Make sure you do what best for your son. Get everything in writing. Make sure it documented on case u have to do something later. Glad everything is through court and ordered. Now I have a leg to stand on. My ex and I tried to go nice route. But I ended up getting a lawyer. He did not and still does not pay CS, pays nothing for medical, even though he suppose to carry insurance and pay 90% of uncovered part. Dd 7 has had braces for almost 6 months and he has not helped. Ds 9 more than likely getting them in March or April.They have small mouths and no room for teeth. And it easier to move teeth while bones still soft. He threw a fit when I wanted some of his retirement. We did not have to go through mediation though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happynewyorker
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM

most state / superior courts have the forms online. U can always get online. U will have to pay a fee for the index number, and other items that need to be filed. if you both agree, u will have to write a stipulation agree on everything. I'm not sure of your state, but search the internet. I know new york it's 17% child support for 1st child. 

I paid about 700 for a service to do my divorce online.  it's taking a while but I know by next year, I'll be divorced.

Becareful about him agreeing. I have 2 friends that went through a divorce and they said they won't take anything and both lost 1/2 401K, apartment owed and other things. 

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Ok, thanks.
I don't want his 401k, our hluse, or anything.
ALL I want, is my son, and child support and MY personal things (clothes and stuff) I will be getting my own apartment and have family giving me hand me down stuff for apartment.

Quoting happynewyorker:

most state / superior courts have the forms online. U can always get online. U will have to pay a fee for the index number, and other items that need to be filed. if you both agree, u will have to write a stipulation agree on everything. I'm not sure of your state, but search the internet. I know new york it's 17% child support for 1st child. 

I paid about 700 for a service to do my divorce online.  it's taking a while but I know by next year, I'll be divorced.

Becareful about him agreeing. I have 2 friends that went through a divorce and they said they won't take anything and both lost 1/2 401K, apartment owed and other things. I also looked online and they have a child support calculator. I know it's just an estimate, but says he would have to pay me $873 a month! That seems crazy for one child. I couldn't take that much from him, but we'll see what happens.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayLundy3
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Oh I misread what you said.
I don't have a 401k, everything else, he can keep.
I am in the process of becoming a DMR worker for the state. After 20 years, I will have my own retirement.

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Ok, thanks.

I don't want his 401k, our hluse, or anything.

ALL I want, is my son, and child support and MY personal things (clothes and stuff) I will be getting my own apartment and have family giving me hand me down stuff for apartment.

Quoting happynewyorker:

Becareful about him agreeing. I have 2 friends that went through a divorce and they said they won't take anything and both lost 1/2 401K, apartment owed and other things. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
recruit1
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Separation or Divorce can be a hard decision to make and deciding to leave shouldnt be based on whether you will be able to make ends meet. You owe it to yourself to be happy.

Visit http://www.123paydayloans.info/

marinewife55
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM
I'm in the middle of a divorce and we have a child and he's crazy, but I have not paid a dime...but you have to be determined and research your options, what you need for each court date, as well as the laws...I also have all my court fees waived during my whole case due to low income...we have gone to court three times and I'm taking him again for arrears and then hopefully he will sign his military court appearance waiver so that I can be officially free from him...also, I kno in cali, the courts have facilitators that are first come first serve who can help you with filling out the papers for free, look into that for your state
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wodntulk2kno1
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM
You can get the paper from the court house or download it on their website.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Pay day loans are crazy expensive. Thank you though.

Quoting recruit1:

Separation or Divorce can be a hard decision to make and deciding to leave shouldnt be based on whether you will be able to make ends meet. You owe it to yourself to be happy.

Visit http://www.123paydayloans.info/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)