Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Response to "IF YOU ARE FAT, YOU ARE A BAD MOTHER"

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
here's a quick copy/paste of the poll that was posted in the 20-something group. It was a featured post.
Poll

Question: If you are fat, are you setting a bad example for your children? *This applies only to being fat because you dont take care of yourself. I.E, you dont exercise or eat right.
Options:
Yes, totally. I'm teaching them that I am not strong enough or have the willpower to change for the better.

No, its my body. They will have their own body opinions.

Other (Explain)

^^this is all I can do, by way of quoting, since I'm on my phone.

I was completely shocked when I read many replies that agreed with the title "if you are fat, you are a bad mother"

I was curious what others (outside the 20-something group) would think, whether or not they share the same viewpoint with the original poster.

this was my reply:

This is the first time I've been even remotely rude on CafeMom, but I can't help but say, after reading all the replies and whatnot:

So many of you folks are idiots...basing your opinions of health based on body type.

I don't know if you folks are just trying to play devil's advocate and argue your way through to prove everyone who doesn't fit into a visually appealing little box on a weight chart is a bad parent, or if you really believe the crap you're posting.
Having a high BMI can lead to issues further down the road.  The key to that sentence is *can*.  And take note of BMI, not *weight*.
If you're basing someone's dedication in or ability to take care of and raise their children based on what *could* happen in the future, then you're just a simple, plain old idiot.  If you're going to pass judgement on someone, at least have something real to accuse them of, instead of how they eat or how often they work out, or worse, how they look.  Even a trained doctor doesn't call someone unhealthy without doing an exam.
If you are making all of your choices of what your children can or cannot do, based on everything that *could* happen, you must never leave your house... Unless your worries are solely related to their physical appearance.  In which case, you're the bad parent.
I have always been over the charted weight, thusly labelled "obese".  Yet even after I came back from basic training, running two to four miles everyother day, and muscle failure days, inbetween, resulting in my  being in the best physical shape of my life, I was still "obese" since my body weight didn't fit into that pathetic box so many doctors try to fit everyone in.  But my BMI was perfect for my height.
Yourseemingly limited view on right and wrong based on outward appearance *can* seriously affect your children, their self confidence, their self worth, and their prejudice of others based on their appearance, not to mention their unhealthy addiction to diets.  That sums up your apparent eligibility to be called a bad parent.
By your posted arguments, anyone who is physically disabled would be a bad parent, as would anyone who may have a heart condition and has limitations on their physical capabilities.  By your standards, someone who spends hours at the gym would also be limiting time with children and therefore be qualified to be called a bad parent.
--oh!  I'm mistaken, as long as she looks hot, she can spend every freaking day at the gym and still be a good parent because she's instilling the importance of shallow and limited beauty.

Ignorance and intolerance is taught.  We are not born knowing how to hate.  It is ingrained in us by our upbringing, whether intentional or not, your children see you, hear you, and learn from you.  When we hear the word prejudice, many think the word applies only to racists, it applies to anyone who makes a quick judgement of a group of people based on limited knowledge, whether it be a race, religion, skin color, or, in your case body type.  What do your kids "see" you doing?  What do your kids overhear you saying about others?  What examples are you setting for your children?  What intolerance and hatred are you teaching your children?

If you're raising shallow biggots, I think you qualify for the highest rank of bad parent!
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM
4 moms liked this

They are 20 something, jokes on them - 80% of them will be fat old cows in 10 years. LOL

do11face
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Quoting FooLynRoo:

They are 20 something, jokes on them - 80% of them will be fat old cows in 10 years. LOL

LMAO!

Jlee4249
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Quoting FooLynRoo:

brilliant! Hahahaha!
shyone_91786
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Well the same can be said for being too skinny your a fat mom, they spend more time at the gym and not eating all the healthing things and setting bad examples for thier kids by making them think that in order to fit in you have to be skinny. They are giveing thier kids a body complex and making them obssesed with being a certian size which in turns puts them on there way to having a eating disorder and become sick and unhelathy.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Thing is, they are 20 something, they still know more then everybody else, they won't get stupid until they turn 30.... =)

(Totally joking for those of you that can't see sarcasm if it hit you between the eyes.)

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I responded by saying, "Only if your fatassness keeps you from caring for, providing for and bonding with your children."

That group, whew.  When I am on mobile and active threads pop up, I can tell right away by only reading the title of a thread that it's in the 20 something group.  Those girls in there are fucking ridiculous most of the time, it's like talking to a bunch of 14 year old girls.

fallenangel_353
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Quoting Paperfishies:

I responded by saying, "Only if your fatassness keeps you from caring for, providing for and bonding with your children."

That group, whew.  When I am on mobile and active threads pop up, I can tell right away by only reading the title of a thread that it's in the 20 something group.  Those girls in there are fucking ridiculous most of the time, it's like talking to a bunch of 14 year old girls.

I just turned 29... and even I cannot communicate with the members of the 20 something group LOL!  I much prefer conversations and debates with the 30's and up women :p

glitter text generator
           Come Join Us At ╰☆╮ The Frost ╰☆╮ 

militarywife09
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Best. Response. Ever. And I'm 21!! Lol

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)