Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

was i wrong

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM
  • 20 Replies

its frustrating to hear family members say that they're always broke and have no money for this or that but yet manage to spend close to 10,000 on a Hawaii  vacation...My SIL is always commenting how she wishes she could stay home like me and how she's tired of working all the time she wants to stay home and do nothing...well sister I tell her if you guys wouldn't spend so much money on vacations, 100 dollar pants for your daughter and stop buying 40 thousand dollar cars and stop going out to eat everyday and stop spending 200 a week for a maid then you can afford to stay home  but until then you have to keep working...needless to say they still owe us over 1000...we have long forgotten the loan but dang ....yes she did get a little upset,I did apologize to her..

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starbuckmom03
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM

And they are probably in debt up to their ears too.  Some people don't know how to stop spending money.  They want what everyone else have.  They can't even think of being seen in clothes bought at Macy's or Jc Penny's or even Target.  What would people think of them?  Oh the horror!!!

My brother has a saying "Live like no one today so you can live like no one tomorrow".  Essentially, save your money now, be frugal, use coupons, etc, so that when you retire, then you have the money to have fun, travel, etc. 

We live within our means.  My dh bought our house knowing he could have bought a house at least $50,000 more than what he spent but we wanted to live comfortably and we do. 

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Depending on the conversation and your relationship with her, it was probably what she needed to hear and for you to get off your chest.

mrsladyface
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Champagne taste and beer pocketbooks... they are probably digging themselves a hole full of debt

wildlilacs
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:25 PM
She wants to have it all, vacations, clothes, cars, all the goods but dont want to work. Probably wishes dh made more $$$$. Sure, I too want it all and not work. Man, what a life that would be!
But alas, aint gonna happen, such a fantasy.
How about go along with her when she talks about her fantasy. Better than getting upset.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Metteba
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Why are you apologizing to her??? Get your money back!!!!!!!!!! shit!
pamelax3
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM

sometimes the truth hurts..

demonica29
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I hope you mentioned the $1000 loan in there somewhere. 

demonica29
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM

FYI, your brother got that saying from Dave Ramsey, a very savvy financial planner with a syndicated radio show. 

Quoting starbuckmom03:

And they are probably in debt up to their ears too.  Some people don't know how to stop spending money.  They want what everyone else have.  They can't even think of being seen in clothes bought at Macy's or Jc Penny's or even Target.  What would people think of them?  Oh the horror!!!

My brother has a saying "Live like no one today so you can live like no one tomorrow".  Essentially, save your money now, be frugal, use coupons, etc, so that when you retire, then you have the money to have fun, travel, etc. 

We live within our means.  My dh bought our house knowing he could have bought a house at least $50,000 more than what he spent but we wanted to live comfortably and we do. 

Megan11587
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM
I see where you're coming from, but if she didn't ask for advice, that was uncalled for.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM
I agree, especially since SIL will probably nver change. And probably doesn't want to despite what she says.

Quoting Megan11587:

I see where you're coming from, but if she didn't ask for advice, that was uncalled for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)