Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My little brother is not getting anything for Christmas because my mom can't afford it.

My mom has a ton of bills that she has got behind on and can not afford Christmas. I am thinking about instead of getting my Dh a large present getting him something smaller and getting my little brother a larger gift and saying it is from my mom, his dad, and our family. Btw he is 13.

Edit:

I decided to buy him a pair of skates that are $199, which is crazy to me, but he really wants them. But they are on sale believe it or not. They are normally $300 and they are giving away a summer pass to the skate center he normally goes to which is a $60 value. I figure the pass will be from my family and mom, and the skates from santa :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
VintageWife
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Then let her be pissed. This isn't about her, it's about him. If she got really rude about it, I'd finally just say, "You know what? We WANT to do this for HIM. We want him to have Christmas like everyone else. If you truly didn't want anyone to help, you had 12 months where you could have picked up a little something for him because you knew the date of Christmas ahead of time."

I understand that people fall onto hard times, but it cracks me up when every single year it ends up being the same people (not saying your mom is like that) and I'm like, "Ummm...Christmas is the same date every single year and I remember you buying cigarettes, coke, beer, etc. That would've bought A LOT of Christmas for your kids!"

Quoting Crazylovingfam:

I am just afraid she will get pissed because she don't like accepting help.

Quoting maris1192:

One year that happened to my aunt and my dad went ahead and did the same thing for her, my aunt was so thankful for my dad. To watch her cry w happy tears made my Christmas that year! Do it!

Crazylovingfam
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Thanks since my budget went from $50 or so, to a couple hundred for him. But it will be worth seeing him have a magical Christmas.

Quoting Jlu88:

I can ask my hubby about the ps3. He works at Gamestop, so he might know of some good deals online or in store

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jlu88
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Alright, my hubby said that the best deal for a ps3 from Gamestop would be the holiday bundle, 299$. You get Lego Batman 2, Lego HP2, and little big planet karting.

Also there is the uncharted bundle, it's 269$ and includes the uncharted game. Might be different in your area, or online he says though. But probably pretty similar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatherineM
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Look on amazon or overstock they have great deals. That is a great thing to do. 

LaughingTattoo
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM

That would be a wonderful thing for you to do.

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM

if you arent opposed to a used one you can one on craigslist or at a pawn shop.

they have a bundle deal at walmart that starts at 249.00 up to 299.00

what the hell kinda skates does he want that are 300.00 dollars

Quoting Crazylovingfam:

Does anyone know where I can get a decent deal on a ps3? That and skates are what he wants. The skates are $300

eviesmom453
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Great idea. Merry Christmas:)

tabitha26
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Quoting Crazylovingfam:

Does anyone know where I can get a decent deal on a ps3? That and skates are what he wants. The skates are $300

Try toys r us they have a lot of Christmas sales every weekend .
terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM
I did that for a friend a few years ago. They had 4 kids (2 still believed in Santa)... So her gift from me was a bunch of stuff for the kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Crazylovingfam
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Vanilla ice skates? Idk he already has one pair skates that were $200 last year. They are professional grade skates

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

if you arent opposed to a used one you can one on craigslist or at a pawn shop.

they have a bundle deal at walmart that starts at 249.00 up to 299.00

what the hell kinda skates does he want that are 300.00 dollars

Quoting Crazylovingfam:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)