Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What would you do?.. How would you react?

Posted by   + Show Post
You provide a family member that watches your child while you work with a car seat.

This family member comes to meet you with your child in a storm. It's raining heavily foggy etc.

This family member doesn't bring your child's car seat and they've driving approx 20 mins with your kid.

What do you do when they pull up? What do you say? How do you react?

I'm asking bc this happened to me today so I'm just wondering what y'all would do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Replies (31-40):
sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I would have lost my mind. It's raining, they HAVE the car seat, there is NO EXCUSE. Either someone else has the car seat YOU bought for YOUR child, or they were too lazy to put it in. Either way, they would not be watching my child anymore, because I would not trust them to use the seat when I'm not there.

OP, I just read the story of the woman who she and her 16 year old were in a hideous wreck they should not have survived but for the grace of God. Even if someone is the best driver in the world, the person about to hit them is not. If you do let them watch your kid again, you need to put the fear of God in them, and I wouldn't say an ass whoopin' would be uncalled for.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

thebracoach
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I would be very upset.  I would question this person why you did not take time to put in the car set and they would no longer be watching my child.......period.

angry

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Ask them what the hell they were thinking and tell them they NEVER leave the house, not even down the street without a car seat.

My family knows I am very strict about car seat usage, I have actually taught my kids proper use and where their chest clip goes, ect. because I know my parents will forget to make sure even though I stress it EVERYTIME they go.

My mom did drive with my son out of a car seat once before. He had puked in his and she took him out and drove home like that. I would have stopped and cleaned the seat or made him sit in it until we got home, but I really couldn't yell at her for that because she just didn't want him sitting in his own puke.

RobinBright
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

That would be a huge issue.  My child would not be left alone with that family member again.  

For those asking about the child's age, it shouldn't matter at all.  The parents left a seat because they know it is the safest option, the caregiver should follow instructions.  Even if it is a 6 or 7 year old, if the parents know the child needs a booster, then the child needs a booster, end of story. 

tnt1014
by Terri on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM
I would have flipped. Fortunately my family members all know how anal I am about my children and car safety.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AwayIsHome
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

You're right it isn't age it's weight that makes a difference, plus height. But it's also not the Law you are concerned with it's your rule. If they don't follow your rules, then you can't work with them.

Quoting Justine1123:

She's 4. Personally I don't think age makes a difference if they got in an accident she wouldn't have been protected.

Quoting kirstina:

How old is the child to me that make a difference. If its a small child then I would not have said anything and they just wouldnt baby sit agian. If its an older kid. like 4-5 then I would just tell them that my child needs to be in a car seat its the law and keep them safe.

linzrenae
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I wouldn't be rude or "flip out" on anybody who has taken care of my child before, that def isn't good advice especially if it's a family member. I would put my concerns in terms relating to thier perspective. Let them know how horrible it would be if something happened and how guilty they would feel for not putting them in a car seat. That even though they may be a safe driver who always does the speed limit, uses blinkers, ect. that not all people are. It may start a thinking process that will make them think twice before doing it again, They are responsible for your child's safety while with them.

michiganmom5150
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM
I'd have been ticked. My ds who is 1 inch under the law rides in my Dad's truck without one, but he has jump seats and the booster doesn't fit correctly, so I feel safer without it. The seatbelt fits him correctly without it. He may be tall enough now. In October he was 1" below.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I would have flipped the hell out. And I would find a new sitter ASAP.

Carson Lenox

pregnancy week by week

rayroe2
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I would of snapped, I don't know how bad but I would not of been happy and I deff would of ask why wouldn't you bring the car seat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN