Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Daughters on BC poll

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM
  • 45 Replies

Poll

Question: At what age would you have your daughter go on birth control.

Options:

10-12

12-14

15-16

17-18

Never/Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 55

View Results

With all the teen pregnancies you see now a days. We can preach about safe sex or abstinence all we want. We can do everything we can as a parent to make sure our child isn't one of the teens getting pregnant. But the truth is, we can not be with them every moment and kids are having sex on the buses and school grounds, placing where we hope they are safe. What is your plan for your children regarding safe sex or abstinence? If you are going to have your daughters get on birth control, at what age? 

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM

When she comes to me and tells me that she feels she is ready to start having sex. We are very open about it and her coming to us and us not wanting her to become a teen parent. She is not quite 7 though so I am hoping to have a lot more time before she asks.

mgm_5
by Mari on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM
When i find out she's having sex, she will go on b.c. i will not be one of those moms in denial
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
clasater
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM
I won't give my kids a license to have sex. I will educate them and talk with them frequently and openly but ultimately if they choose to take on the responsibility of having sex, then they can take on whatever other consequences/responsibilities come from their choice. My opinion on this isn't the most popular one I'm sure. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LectioDivina
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM

15-16

MagicTemptation
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

This is what we are hoping to do as well. But have not decided yet. We have 5 daughters, the oldest is only 8. I hope that our children, when they are teens, feel they can come to us about anything. 

Quoting momtoBrenna:

When she comes to me and tells me that she feels she is ready to start having sex. We are very open about it and her coming to us and us not wanting her to become a teen parent. She is not quite 7 though so I am hoping to have a lot more time before she asks.

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I will give her all the information she needs and if at 15 or 16 she would want to get on something we would both go to the doctor together and get even more information. giving a teenager access to birthcontrol doesnt give them the go ahead to have sex just gives them the power to make an educated decision on it 

Megan11587
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Isn't taking birth control if you decide to have sex a responsibility that comes with that choice?  How can they take on responsibilities like this if you won't give them access?

Quoting clasater:

I won't give my kids a license to have sex. I will educate them and talk with them frequently and openly but ultimately if they choose to take on the responsibility of having sex, then they can take on whatever other consequences/responsibilities come from their choice. My opinion on this isn't the most popular one I'm sure. Lol

MagicTemptation
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You won't have any bashing from me.  Does your stance also include not supplying condoms or spermicides and such? Would your opinion be the same if you knew she/he was having sex?

Quoting clasater:

MagicTemptation
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I know the State that I lived in, you can go to the health department and get on birth control without our parents. They also  give free condoms. 

Quoting Megan11587:

Isn't taking birth control if you decide to have sex a responsibility that comes with that choice?  How can they take on responsibilities like this if you won't give them access?

Quoting clasater:

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM
DD (8) and her bff were in my backseat talking. I heard Molly (the bff) say you can have a baby any time, even when you're a teenager. That was not cool with me! I'm very good friends with Molly's mom so I told both girls that they weren't allowed to have a baby until after they are out of college and are married. Molly's mom agreed 9which I knew she would be) and thanked me.

My mom always, and I mean as far back as I can remember, told me that I couldn't have a baby until I was married for at least 10 months. That always stuck with me. I knew teen motherhood wasn't an option for me (not that it was my life's dream or anything). I was OK with it and am hoping the same faith my mom had in me will work with DD and I hope that DD will always be comfortable talking to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)