Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

christmas gifts

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM
  • 8 Replies
Do you think making something is a good enough gift? Me and my dd want to make dry soup and cookies in a mason jar as gifts. But I don't want it to seem like we are being cheap. But I think that its more from the heart when people make gifts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cableknit
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I think home made gifts are awesome!!!

We are doing mason jar snow globes for everyone :).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crystal2985
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I make a lot of gifts. I'm doing mason jar gifts this year. I also do picture calendars or frames. Salt dough ornaments of the kids' handprints for the grandparents. I also got a great idea from Pintrest about printing photos on wax paper and then ironing them on pillow cases or canvas bags. Haven't tried it yet, but hoping it works. Homemade gifts are great :)

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I wish more people would get back to basics.  The season is not about who can get who the more expensive tech toy.    I love homemade gifts.

larissacst
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Also Pinterest.com has lots of homemade Mason jars ideas. I'm still picking out which to do for BF's mom. Inexpensive but not cheap.

illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I think homemade gifts are awesome to/from the right people. For example, I think it is AWESOME to give homemade treats and snacks to your neighbors, your mailman, and your friends that you don't do a full gift exchange with. We made a ton of chocolate covered pretzels today to pass out to the people who we care about but are not overly close to.

But... I'd never give only some cookies/treats to my best friend or my inlaws or someone close to me. I think homemade gifts are fine, but the "I made 10 of these, here" type gifts just aren't personal. If I was to make something for my best friend I'd make her some Hello Kitty curtains for her office because it has a Hello Kitty theme. If I made something homemade for my MIL I'd make her a rooster valance for her kitchen (to match her theme) or I'd make her a rice heat pack with a dog theme since she loves dogs and has sore muscles and could use it at work.

I just think that homemade gifts for people who are close to use should be personalized and not a production line "this is what everyone gets" kinda things.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:11 PM

My gift to my Sister and my MIL was 10 jarless-gift in a jar items (too expensive to ship glass jars LOL) I think they are awesome.

suckers07
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I think it's a great idea!

alyssas-mommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM
We are giving them to family. But i already got there gifts. My dd wants to do this since we did it last yr. I had used them as stocking stuffers.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I think homemade gifts are awesome to/from the right people. For example, I think it is AWESOME to give homemade treats and snacks to your neighbors, your mailman, and your friends that you don't do a full gift exchange with. We made a ton of chocolate covered pretzels today to pass out to the people who we care about but are not overly close to.

But... I'd never give only some cookies/treats to my best friend or my inlaws or someone close to me. I think homemade gifts are fine, but the "I made 10 of these, here" type gifts just aren't personal. If I was to make something for my best friend I'd make her some Hello Kitty curtains for her office because it has a Hello Kitty theme. If I made something homemade for my MIL I'd make her a rooster valance for her kitchen (to match her theme) or I'd make her a rice heat pack with a dog theme since she loves dogs and has sore muscles and could use it at work.

I just think that homemade gifts for people who are close to use should be personalized and not a production line "this is what everyone gets" kinda things.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)