Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I JUST GOT SERVED!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:11 AM
  • 13 Replies

My mother and I are being sued by my fathers daughter from his first marriage. She is in her mid to late thirties, I am 21 so we never got to know each other or met until I dug her up on FB when my dad was dying in the hospital from a car wreck. 

My father and her mother divorced when she was 1. He payed child support, and every weekend went and picked her up to see her (my dad had polio). Her mom went against the divorce decree and moved over an hour away and my dad told her his car was in bad shape he couldn't drive all the way up there so she said he'd better find a away so he did, and he would wait outside for hours calling her name, beeping because she lived at the top floor of a complex, mind you he couldn't walk. So he one day got out his wheel chair, got in the door and the crawled up all the stairs, dragged himself to their door and asked for her, and her mom said she was out with friends she's not coming. That's how it ended up when she was 14. My dad received a letter saying something along the lines of, I don't want to see you anymore, my friends are here and I'm very busy with them, I don't feel like coming to see you anymore sorry but I like it better here. Prior to this letter, my mother said my sister asked questions kids her age didnt ask about their savings, what they were doing with their money, and the letter was written in such a sophisticated way for someone her age. My dad never saw Laurie till I was 3 or 4 she was maybe almost 20, and she came demanding money for college, screaming outside with her friend on our lawn she wants college money putting a scene, and my mother said if you want to discuss it come in the house but don't put on a scene since we haven't seen you in years. And she got in her car and zipped off.

fast forward to dec 6 2012..my dad dies from a car crash. She attends the funeral, and comes to the lawyers with us because my father DID NOT HAVE A WILL. The law said my dad, from the guys insurance would get 100,000$ where by my mom would get 1 half, and then the other half would be split between Laurie and I so after taxes around 15-19,000$. A few months later, the lawyers issue a paper saying I will get 4,000 my mom will get the rest, Laurie will get 0 because she was of legal age and a non dependent when he died, she was 34 I think and I was 19. She's suing both of us because she said I was not a dependent because I was married, but the court still directed me the money and not her so why should I get and not her.

she demanded my mom in a FB email that she needs a full accounting of my fathers belongings, house, cars, 401k, money, savings, gold, stocks, anything expensive, she needs to know everything he owns and posses. And get this, HER MOTHER went to my grandmother, her EX MIL who she hasn't seen n 35 years and said "what does Ricky own? Indeed to know everything."

i am appalled because this girl never came around, never wanted t come around, broke my father heart, walked all over him, the mother was a bitch violating the divorce decree, she didnt come around till he died now wants money money money.

what do we do here? I was just served this morning and my mom, yes we are gettin a lawyer but your thoughts?

thx for your time ladies!

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this

i think she is a greedy bitch

dont worry

you didnt do anything wrong. besides anything your father owned will go to his wife that he was married to when he passed away

WinterRosesmom
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this
DO NOT TELL HER ANYTHING!!!!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:24 AM
4 moms liked this
I don't know where u live but current spouse gets 100% of everything when their spouse dies without a will. If no spouse its divided equally amoung next of kin, and they have a heirarchy defind from children through other relatives.

I had a mother and father in law all pass away without a will.

I'm sure the only reason a court was involved was due to the insurance settlement. But all ur fathers assets and thing are legally is legal married spouses.

Ignore her

If she contacts either of u again refer. Her to your attorney if she continues file a police report.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Go get a lawyer appear in court. She has no case unless ur mom is not legally married. To ur dad.
Megan11587
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

What a greedy bitch.  I'm pretty sure that without a will, legally everything goes to the current spouse, but I'm not certain.

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Thanks ! 

My mom is talking to her lawyer now

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Go get a lawyer appear in court. She has no case unless ur mom is not legally married. To ur dad.

AMBG825
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM
3 moms liked this
I would dig out the old letter out you still have it and send her a copy.
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Lol that sounds great

Quoting AMBG825:

I would dig out the old letter out you still have it and send her a copy.

TableforSeven
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Get a lawyer - that's my only advice. 

mrsladyface
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I would not provide her with any information what so ever unless she had lega documentation requesting the information for the lawsuit. I would just talk to your lawyer about it and definitely get all the information from the original situation with his belongings being divided by the court. It's not right for her to be suing you guys personally. It wasn't a decision that was made by you all in the first place, the COURT ordered it. She sounds very self centered and obviously didn't care about the death of your father and is more concerned about what she can get out of it after being a half assed daughter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)