Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Please read! about our deployed soldiers! Support our troops!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM
  • 10 Replies

It came to my attention today that the US Military has made some budget cuts. We knew those were coming, but instead of taking away from the families and the children as they usually do, this time they took from our hard working, dedicated, deployed soldiers. Troops all over Afghanistan are no longer receiving a hot lunch. Some of you may be thinking it’s only one meal, no big deal. But because of their work schedule, there are troops that only get one hot meal a day – at lunch time. Depriving them of this small but important comfort is appalling, disrespectful, disgraceful and flat out WRONG! They say “An Army Marches on its’ Stomach.” Taking a hot meal from the men and women who have so little already, and who have selflessly sacrificed so much for our safety and freedom, is unacceptable! These soldiers have done so much for us, the very least we can do is supply them with 3 hot meals a day. Our military, especially our deployed military, deserves better! Come on America, treat them like the heroes they are! Support our troops. Copy and paste; share; spread the word; write your local congressmen. Let’s get our soldiers their hot lunch back!

Instead of a hot meal provided for lunch. They are getting a MRE (a gross package 1300 calorie food) Some soldiers are eating these 3 times a day which is 3900 calorie a day diet. That is very unhealthy and cause issues as well as being over weight. We need our soldeirs strong and healthy! it is unfair that they are working 24/7 away from friends and family and not being provided proper nutrition! please spread the word! help my these soldiers!

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YoursTruely06
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Some of you may question if this is real and unfortunately it is. My deployed friends right now are very upset about this.

davnrori
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Do you have an article associated with this? My husband was deployed for 6 months this year to the Middle East and says that this is not true. The bases have been closing the restaurants on base, like Burger King, Robin Hood Pizza, and such, but they still have a chow hall that is open for all 3 meals serving hot chow. Not every soldier is out on patrol, there are many support people, civilians, intel, electricians, etc. that stay on base all day long. I know for a fact that they are not having only one hot meal a day. Please post your sources. Of Note: My DH was not required to eat MREs at any time while he was deployed, although soldiers who were on patrol, doing convoys, or other off base activities usually did eat them.

YoursTruely06
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM

a MRE

YoursTruely06
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

it's only happening in afghanistan and they just told the soldiers yesterday of this and my friend who is currently deployed and only got lunch each day, no longer gets to eat a hot lunch. during the annoucment they told the soldiers that providing them lunch each day cost $27 per soldier and save money by not providing them lunch. I dont know if their is a pizza hut or things of that sort where my 3 of my deployed friends are, but they shouldn't have to buy their meals. I'm waiting for an article to come out about it so i can post, but I highly doubt 3 different friends located in different parts whom don't talk to eachother would lie about it. I'm glad your husband was provided with 3 meals a day, but thats not the case for all the deployed soldiers. My husband only gets provided with one meal during his trips to the field... so im sure thats the case for some deployed.

jenny198356
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

This cracks me up. My husband is Army...he was deployed all of 2011...he ate MREs the whole time. It might not be the greatest food, but they had them on almost 3000 calories a day with those. He eats them now sometimes even though he is home. Not a big deal to him or his guys.

YoursTruely06
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

My husband is army as well and doesn't care about having to eat a MRE a day when he deploys to the feild... but he only had to do it for a short time. Some people don't care about having to eat them, but some do. they should be provided with meals. I get some people get chow and some don't. would you want to eat an MRE for breakfast lunch and dinner? I know I wouldn't. glad people could care less about our military because their husbands are content with only their husbands. It's not the same for every soldier.

YoursTruely06
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

and if you eat 3 MRE's a day it averages to 3900 cal. Some soldiers have fast metabolisms and their body can handle the overload of calories, but some cant.

YoursTruely06
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM

We can supply 3 hot meals to inmates, but not the men and women fighting for our freedom? Why not give the inmates the MRE's and take the prisons food budget and give it to our soldiers?

cjsix
by faith on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Quoting YoursTruely06:

and if you eat 3 MRE's a day it averages to 3900 cal. Some soldiers have fast metabolisms and their body can handle the overload of calories, but some cant.

Add to this that the military has "kicked out" more personel for being overweight than ever before....

Mre's can be good...some of them but,some are just,well...yuck! and to eat them all day everyday without the benefit of a hot meal at least once a day...not ok! My understanding is lunch is frequently the hot meal if there's only one as it is the one most will be able to get to. Yes,they need to keep the hot meals for our guys and girls,it may be the one "touch of home" they have.

SavyD
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM
I wish I could afford to eat every day...
I'm not even deployed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)