Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wow...that's a HUGE up-sell!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm at IL's staying with DD#1.

Some chimney sweep company had called here offering a $50 sweep.  ILs have a fireplace and a chimney for their furnace.  I fully expected an up-sell....assuming the guy would tell MIL that they -had- to do both for $50 each.  But...wow...this guy was amazing.  He went from $50 to $1,400-1,500 telling MIL that the furnace chimney is about to collapse (FIL is at work).  So....MIL told the guy no - obviously - but is now all freaked out that their furnace is going to break any day now.  I told her that was the guy's whole idea....to scare her into spending more money.  I also told her if they want, they should call the chimney sweep they've used in the past to inspect the furnace chimney and put her mind at ease.

FIL called as the guys were leaving and is glad I'm here to keep MIL from letting the guys scare her into such a huge expense.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
chalisa0
by Kim on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Yah, that's a huge scam-I've heard about it on the news.  So, it's not just her.  Tell her to call her (reputable) furnace service people.  They can look at the chimney and tell her if any work needs to be done (and they can probably do it too.)

TableforSeven
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM
That's what I told her. I'm just trying to keep her from being too scared.

Quoting chalisa0:

Yah, that's a huge scam-I've heard about it on the news.  So, it's not just her.  Tell her to call her (reputable) furnace service people.  They can look at the chimney and tell her if any work needs to be done (and they can probably do it too.)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Freaking crooks.

People are always knocking on my door to paint my railing or give me new cement steps. 

I hates them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)