Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help,Please! CHristmas Gifts For Older Daughter....

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM
  • 20 Replies

I have a daughter who is in her twenties,on her own and not married or seeing anyone right now. We have six children and she is the oldest,having younger siblings still at home. I don't have alot of funds but,enough to do Christmas for the kids and all...the thing is I felt badly last year seeing the disappointment on her face when she only had a couple things to open. They were things she had asked for or I know wanted,along with the traditional jammies.The other kids had more items to open but,they are younger and the items weren't quite so much a piece. I do spend a bit more on the younger than the older kids(she's not the only one out on her own). I just feel badly as I know that the only gifts she gets are from us. This year as last one of the things she's asking for is a specific new game for her wii and if I got that it would be all besides the jammies and something I am making each of the kids that she would get. The cost is at about the limit of my budget. What would you do? I know she is an adult. She is very tender hearted and quiet....I don't want to hurt her,she's my baby!

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsix
by faith on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM

holding gifts 

kitchen.ninja
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Get her the game.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I would cut down a bit on the younger ones so that she could have that game.   She doesnt have any friends to celebrate with either?

Kool_Aide
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM

this

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would cut down a bit on the younger ones so that she could have that game.   She doesnt have any friends to celebrate with either?

happynewyorker
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM

If that's what she asked for get the game.  I'd pass on the jammies. Get an inexpensive t-shirt.

I'd shop around for the game, manybe finding a cheaper price?  then u can add something else to the gift. 

On another note, if she's a young adult and living on her own, buy something that she has mentioned in the past she needed but couldn't afford? Or give her the money u were going to spend on her and let her pick out the gift. Maybe after holidays the item can be on sale.

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM
I say get her the game and maybe if you want to add on another gift wrap up a certificate for "one day with mom". Then after Christmas and the cost of Christmas is done take her out for a mother daughter day. See a movie, eat lunch, get nails done or just spend the day baking. I would love that from my mom and I am 24.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HousewifeNina
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Truth is that the older they get, the more expensive their.requests get.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeekers
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM

get her a gift card for 1/2 the price of the gift, and tell you're willing to help her buy it, but with your budget, you cannot afford it outright. she's a grownup, half is better than nothing.

Ciaodarlings
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Not sure what the game is, but try Amazon! They always have decent prices.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by faith on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Even the younger ones aren't getting alot...they all get new pjs,which is tradition ...the youngest is ten and so far a couple small Lego City sets($10) and some HotWheels cars,the girls (teens) camis,longsleeve shirts,leggings which were bogo the day after thnaksgiving...great deals. The younger one new winter boots. I'm still working on things but,other than a pair of boots  for her I am stuck...the game is $50-$60 dollars and The "big" things the younger one want I could get for that...for all of them. The only other thing she has asked for is a thermos.

She does bring treats to work as they all do the couple days before Christmas but, coming here is really it for her. We don't have other family here so ....sad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)