Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kwanzza

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter brought home an assignment today. In class they are learning about Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa. This is a 3rd grade class.

I know what Christmas and Hanukkah are. I have heard of Kwanzaa but do not know anyone who celebrates it. Nor have I looked into it until today.

From what I am reading on various websites there is alot of controversy and a lot of negativeness towards this holiday.

So far the teacher hasn't mentioned Kwanzaa even though my daughter has to have information about Kwanzaa in her report.

For those who do celebrate the holiday, can you give us positive insight please.  What it means to you, how is it celebrated?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I dont know anyone either who celebrates it.  I would talk about how it celebrates a bountiful harvest and how a college professor created it .

MagicTemptation
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

BUMP!

Pink.Sunshine
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Kwanzaa..hmm I learned it in school. I know each day stands for a principle based on positive principles within the community. They light candles, each day has a theme.Thats all I remember. I don't celebrate it and I don't know anyone that does.

Linds2Horse
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I don't know too much about it.  I know that it is a new holiday - only becoming popularly know in the past 10 years - and was created for African Americans so that they could have their own holiday and shun the white culture of Christianity and Christmas. It was quite controversial when it was first created, but in the past 10 years they changed the principals so that its about earth and multi-cultural harmony with the hope of making it more main stream.  I dont know anyone who celebrates it.

Holztastic
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Learning to spell it correctly might be a good start.

zeesmuse
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I taught at a large elementary school (1200+) for 3 years with a large African-American (75%) population and in 3 years, I only had 3 children who celebrated it. I never got a negative vibe from it, simply it was a culture tryin to establish their own traditions. It was my understanding that they celebrate positive family values and they light candles each day, much like the Jewish faith.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)