Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cocker spaniel moms

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
  • 18 Replies
Show off your babies here is.mine dasia 2 mths old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermom0609
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0609
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Oh goodness. I hope you got it from a really really really REALLY good breeder. The American Cocker Spaniel is a failed breed. Pretty and often very nice but failed. The cherry eyes, glaucoma, cataracts, the skin tags, the oozing moles, the ear infections, the skin infections, the submissive peeing, the barking seizures. Gah!  I've know plenty of sweet cockers but still I wouldn't sign up for that. 

supermom0609
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Im actually reAlly happy with her. ive had no such problems with her she is simply beautiful and sweet

Quoting Maevelyn:

Oh goodness. I hope you got it from a really really really REALLY good breeder. The American Cocker Spaniel is a failed breed. Pretty and often very nice but failed. The cherry eyes, glaucoma, cataracts, the skin tags, the oozing moles, the ear infections, the skin infections, the submissive peeing, the barking seizures. Gah!  I've know plenty of sweet cockers but still I wouldn't sign up for that. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

They are so sweet (mostly) but I've just seen some messed up dogs and what's sad is that because they are so high maintence half the ones who don't have the genetic problems are messed up from not being groomed. They get super matted in their paw pads and if it gets bad enough it hurts them really badly when they are clippered out, which is the only way to get them out. Then the dog starts biting, which means that it has to be muzzled (not clippering their feet isn't an option) and so the dog gets stressed. I've seem the ones that aren't groomed reglularly get what can only be described as jungle rot on their paw pads. The ear infections are from not having their ears shved and cleaned regularly, you have to clean their ears about once a week. I've seen them with big bald spots where their matts got stuck on something and were ripped out and then they get a skin infection from all the dirt sitting against it. The things I've seen happen to these poor dogs because people don't understand that they can't miss a groom is just shocking. I think I've know maybe 3 owners who took proper care of thie cocker spaniel and I've seen so many be abandoned...

Quoting supermom0609:

Hmmm ok well i hope.i have no problems she is a very sweet girl

Quoting Maevelyn:

Doc.Mc.Lissa
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

We had 3 cocker spaniels growing up. One of them had puppies with cocker spaniel across the street and every single one those puppies had issues. The puppy we kept didn't have any issues until she was 6 or so. First she lost all the hair on her face, then got awful sores all over it. Her kidneys failed a year later. She was the first dog that was mine and it hurt so bad when she passed. The other 2 lived much longer lives, with no real health issues until they into their teens.

shoot4thestars
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:42 PM

My Pap has had two cocker spaniels over.

This one's name is Snoopy.  She passed away a few years ago. 

This is my Paps new dog.  His name is Mikey.  He's about 4ish.  I had pictures of Mikey and my dog rough housing and playing around with each other, but I have no clue where any of them are at.  This one I had to take from my sister's facebook, she took care of Mikey when my Pap was in the hospital.

specialwingz
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Wow, you must have had some bad experience!  I've had many cockers (my pair had 3 litters).  And, not a single one of them ever had any of the issues you listed.

Quoting Maevelyn:

_Kissy_
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM
They are prone to clostridium..and have to eat boiled hamburger meat with rice. NO traditional dog food especially with rice. They need vitamins and consistency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Like I said if it's a really really good breeder then its not so bad but unless you stayed in contact with all those puppies you really don't want to know what they end up like. 80% seem to have significant health problems by the time they turn 5 or 6. It's not a breed that ages well in general. Then you add in the fact that people dont brush, bath or clipper them and all the skin issues that could be mild just become rediculous. 

Quoting specialwingz:

Wow, you must have had some bad experience!  I've had many cockers (my pair had 3 litters).  And, not a single one of them ever had any of the issues you listed.

Quoting Maevelyn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)