Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I can't control him..

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM
  • 34 Replies

My son is only 5 years old. He is in Kindergarten and just being so bad. Every day his teacher will put a smiley, straight face, or sad face on their calendars that they have in their bring home folders. He started out good for the first couple months or so of school and he just keeps getting worse and worse, since december has started he has had 5 sad faces, 1 straight face (he only did one thing wrong that day), and only 2 happy faces. I have over the past couple months met with the teacher several times, talked to my son, tried to explain that he NEEDS to be good and follow the rules to go on to 1st grade, and in life. I told him that mommy and daddy have to follow the rules or we go to jail. Thats what happens when grown ups are bad. I asked him if anything was wrong, if anyone was mean to him, he said no he's fine. When I couldn't think of anything else to say or ask him about I started threatening to ground him and take stuff away, then I actually had to take stuff away and ground him, and he was still doing it. I threatened to take Christmas presents away and call Santa and tell him not to come. He's still being bad and i'm seriously considering not giving him anything for Christmas. Now I'm threatening spanking, I called the guidence counselor multiple times about a month or so ago and she never answered or called me back. The teacher says that sometimes he tries to be the boss to the other students, that he was about a month ago refusing to sing the alphabet for her so I went in and made him do it for me in front of her and he did. I don't understand why he is being like this. He will run around our house singing his ABC's, counting, he knows our address, and most of my phone #, but he refuses to tell her, yesterday they had the elementary band do a show for the school and she said he was loud and disrespectful and had to sit out in the hall alone. Today he refused to do his math sheet and sit in his seat and was messing around with the other kids while they were doing their work. I got a letter saying that we need to have a meeting in January with the guidence counselor. I'm guessing to discuss holding him back. I asked about ADHD and she said its not that he can't listen and pay attention, he just doesn't want to. He knows his stuff though, he can read and write just fine, they do flash cards and he does them everyday no problem. I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't want him to be held back just because I can't make him behave. He has two cousins that are in the same grade, all the same age, one is a little younger, it would be so embarrassing for him mostly because they are always competing because they are all the same age, if he had to be a year behind them, but i just don't know how to make him behave. He did preschool and he was so good last year. I just don't understand what happened to my good boy. I feel like a bad mother. Why is he all the sudden (for the last 2-3 months) being bad in school?

Sorry its so long, I wanted to give as much detail as possible, and get it all out.

**** UPDATE on page 4****

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Has he been in a school setting before this year? When did he turn 5?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM
What is his diet like?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
noahscott
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM

yes, he was in daycare when he was 2-3 and in preschool at 4, he was good all the time. This just started. He turned 5 in July but I don't think that is why he is misbehaving, his cousin was born a couple weeks after him and she is behaving just fine in school.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Any changes at school or home? Can you go and observe the class (more discretely the better)? Have you talked to him about why?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Could he be bored? Have you had his iq tested? What suggestions does the teacher have?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
noahscott
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Regular, he eats everything i give him, we have meat, veggies, and starch at every meal, cereal for breakfast on school days, and fruit with snack time. He drinks water, juice, and milk. I dont' give my kids soda.

Quoting beadingmom17:

What is his diet like?

noahscott
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Yes, i've asked him until i'm blue in the face, why why why all the time. He says he doesn't know. I did ask the teacher if i can observe this friday so hopefully I will be doing that this week.

Quoting terpmama:

Any changes at school or home? Can you go and observe the class (more discretely the better)? Have you talked to him about why?

noahscott
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats what i was thinking. I think maybe he gets bored sitting there. I don't know.

Quoting terpmama:

Could he be bored? Have you had his iq tested? What suggestions does the teacher have?

Ktina11
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Mama....he is a young 5. Gender does matter in maturity often times. Comparing him to his female cousin isn't fair to him. I have 3 boys (5, 4, and 3 on NYE). Boys can be tough with regards to school and are way different than girls their age. He may need time to mature.

Quoting noahscott:

yes, he was in daycare when he was 2-3 and in preschool at 4, he was good all the time. This just started. He turned 5 in July but I don't think that is why he is misbehaving, his cousin was born a couple weeks after him and she is behaving just fine in school.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Have you tried cutting out dyes and adding more protein to his breakfast? I just have to wonder if it's all behavior or maybe blood sugar issues or a dye allergy. My girls are both "allergic" to red food dye. Within minutes of having it they are like different kids. And my oldest is an absolute monster when her blood sugar starts to drop.

Quoting noahscott:

Regular, he eats everything i give him, we have meat, veggies, and starch at every meal, cereal for breakfast on school days, and fruit with snack time. He drinks water, juice, and milk. I dont' give my kids soda.

Quoting beadingmom17:

What is his diet like?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)