Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Meteorologist fired after defending her hair on Facebook

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM
  • 30 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you agree with the news station's decision?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 58

View Results

(clicky)

A meteorologist was fired from a Louisiana news station after she responded to a comment about her hair left by a viewer on the station's Facebook page.

Emmitt Vascocu, a viewer and commenter, wrote: "The black lady that does the news is a very nice lady, I'm not sure if she is a cancer patient. But still, it's not something myself that I think looks good on TV. what about letting someone a male have waist long hair do the news, what about that (cq)."

According to the Maynard Institute for Journalism Education, Meteorologist Rhonda Lee responded to the post with: "Hello Emmitt--I am the 'black lady' to which you are referring. I'm sorry you don't like my ethnic hair. And no I don't have cancer. I'm a non-smoking, 5'3, 121 lbs, 25 mile a week running, 37.5 year old woman, and I'm in perfectly healthy physical condition."

Lee goes on to explain why she keeps her hair short rather than growing it out and straightening it.

Managers at the TV station said they fired her, along with another employee, for violating its policy on responding with viewers on social media sites. The station stated that only management can respond to negative comments.

Read a report by CNN here: Fired for defending her hairstyle on Facebook; Ex-KTBS meterologist Rhonda Lee: 'Other people are given platforms, I was given a pink slip'

For more on the exchange between Voscocu and Lee, read this article from the MIJE: Meteorologist Responded to Critic of her Short Afro 

To read the post, go here:https://www.facebook.com/KTBS3/posts/10151461040727575

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tifferie
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
So a woman can defend herself about being called fat, but a black woman can't defend her hair?? I mean really?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Justine1123
by Justine on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't think she should have been fired but I believe she should follow company policy and sometimes when you are popular with the public you need to ignore things people say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM

They made a bad decision.She should not have been fired

bellawomen
by Summer on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

So I went on Facebook to read the comment exchange myself.  Some of the people on there pointed out the New Station LIKED the comment the man made!  They sure did!  There is no way I would take back a job offered by them even if they begged.  GROSS.

EAzizM
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:02 AM
How stupid for firing her for defending herself. Smh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Exactly. I don't think she said anything wrong but she did break policy. Many companies have strict social media rules in place.

Quoting Justine1123:

I don't think she should have been fired but I believe she should follow company policy and sometimes when you are popular with the public you need to ignore things people say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

That is crazy. Thanks for posting this. I left her a message of support and will be re-sharing this on my facebook. I read her comment and it was nothing but respectful and she did not deserve to get fired for it.

christina0607
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have fired her too. Completely unprofessional.

EsmeVincent
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this
the station has a rule that only management would respond to negative comments and she(not management) took it upon herself to comment...she broke a rule and she got fired for breaking that rule...I feel they(the station) should have defended her hair but they had to fire her because she broke that rule
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I really don't think her race or sex should even matter....if it was a white man and he broke the rules then he should be fired.too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)