Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Really just venting...but if anyone has suggestions, that's good too!

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM
  • 15 Replies
So I am in the middle of going through a divorce.
I decided, told DH I was going to file. We decided to stay together and not tell son, or family, until after holidays.
Yeah..it's been awkward.
*I* make only 1,000 a month. My husband will have to pay child support and with the online calculator, it says he'll probably have to pay $816 a month. When I saw that I decided I won't be going for alimony also. Husband says he will pay me that if I get into apt before divorce is final. Has agreed to put it in writing to give to apt people.
Anyway. So my income will be around $1,800. The apartment I found is $775. They won't even let me fill out an application because they say I don't make enough to get into an apartment. Wtff..?

I seriously CAN'T figure out HOW I'm going to do this! =(

$775 is the cheapest apartment I can find..I have enough to do first and security which is 2 months rent.

I am starting to see why people end up staying in marriages because they have no other option. =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Oh and I do KNOW I can afford it. With all my other bills...including gas and food and all..I'll have an extra like $200 a month. ????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Look for low income apartments and go to wic/SS office and see if they know of any available apartments. What do you guys live in now? Seems like your ex dh is trying to be difficult with out being obviously evil.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dylansmom08
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM
I know the feeling its hard your best bet would be income based.housing but usually there is a waiting list.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Actually he isn't being difficult. We are trying to do it the nicest way possible.
We rent a house that is $1,250 a month. I can't afford that so I want to go get an apartment.

All the low income places will put you on a huge waiting list. I will probably try to call SS office and see if they know anything.
Thank you

Quoting babyspots17:

Look for low income apartments and go to wic/SS office and see if they know of any available apartments. What do you guys live in now? Seems like your ex dh is trying to be difficult with out being obviously evil.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenny198356
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM

They wont allow it because child support shouldnt count into your income. They want to make sure that you will have a definite income. Even though he says he will help out, other divorcees are not so nice and it screws it up for the ones that are nice.

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Yeah. I guess I understand that.

Quoting jenny198356:

They wont allow it because child support shouldnt count into your income. They want to make sure that you will have a definite income. Even though he says he will help out, other divorcees are not so nice and it screws it up for the ones that are nice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think child support counts towards income, right? so no on paper you can't afford it. Have you thought about renting a room or studio until you can find a better paying job?

Also, do courts even grant alimony anymore? Unless he's a millionaire you have come accustomed to a specific lifestyle because of him...I think you may want to forget the whole alimony thing.

kansasmom1978
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM

They have the right to refuse. It sucks for sure. You may check into low income housing

kansasmom1978
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM

a waiting list is better than nothing

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Actually he isn't being difficult. We are trying to do it the nicest way possible.
We rent a house that is $1,250 a month. I can't afford that so I want to go get an apartment.

All the low income places will put you on a huge waiting list. I will probably try to call SS office and see if they know anything.
Thank you

Quoting babyspots17:

cnewman31
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I'm so sorry about your divorce. My parents just divorced and I understand the financial stress it has played on my mom. That is a cheap apt price. What do they require to rent? I'd keep looking around, you are bound to find something. And is your husband able to pay you a little more so you qualify?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)