Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Really just venting...but if anyone has suggestions, that's good too!

Posted by   + Show Post
So I am in the middle of going through a divorce.
I decided, told DH I was going to file. We decided to stay together and not tell son, or family, until after holidays.
Yeah..it's been awkward.
*I* make only 1,000 a month. My husband will have to pay child support and with the online calculator, it says he'll probably have to pay $816 a month. When I saw that I decided I won't be going for alimony also. Husband says he will pay me that if I get into apt before divorce is final. Has agreed to put it in writing to give to apt people.
Anyway. So my income will be around $1,800. The apartment I found is $775. They won't even let me fill out an application because they say I don't make enough to get into an apartment. Wtff..?

I seriously CAN'T figure out HOW I'm going to do this! =(

$775 is the cheapest apartment I can find..I have enough to do first and security which is 2 months rent.

I am starting to see why people end up staying in marriages because they have no other option. =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Replies (11-15):
a06z08mama
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM
In Iowa. Any kind of assistance even low income housing. If you are receiving child support they count that towards your income.

Quoting jenny198356:

They wont allow it because child support shouldnt count into your income. They want to make sure that you will have a definite income. Even though he says he will help out, other divorcees are not so nice and it screws it up for the ones that are nice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM
My lawyer asked me how much I wanted for alimony. When he told me the estimate for child support, I said I didn't want it. He tried to talk me out of refusing it, because I won't be able to go back, it's not like child support.
So they must still do it.

Quoting christina0607:

I don't think child support counts towards income, right? so no on paper you can't afford it. Have you thought about renting a room or studio until you can find a better paying job?

Also, do courts even grant alimony anymore? Unless he's a millionaire you have come accustomed to a specific lifestyle because of him...I think you may want to forget the whole alimony thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Hun you can do it my sister was a single mom of 3 kids in florida... and her ex not once payed one penny in child support. If she can do it you can also. Apply for wic, medicaid and foodstamps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I don't really know what to tell you, cause child support doesn't count as income, so many men quit their jobs just so they don't have to pay child support and get under the table work. I know what you mean about expensive apartments, I live in a college town and everything is priced per room for students. It sucks. All I can say is get on the low income housing list, it's not like section 8, you just need to find places that go based on income. They ARE funded by the government so they can afford to do so, but it's not as bad as section 8 because the waiting lists at some places might be much shorter.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

eema.gray
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Most states call it spousal support and put limits on it, also, it usually is applied specifically when one spouse has few job skills and will need time to get into the work force.  In my state, the max you can get spousal support is 5 years and judges have the discression to require proof that the recipient spouse is in job training, working through the ranks, etc.

Quoting christina0607:

I don't think child support counts towards income, right? so no on paper you can't afford it. Have you thought about renting a room or studio until you can find a better paying job?

Also, do courts even grant alimony anymore? Unless he's a millionaire you have come accustomed to a specific lifestyle because of him...I think you may want to forget the whole alimony thing.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN