Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'd like your input...

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:05 PM
  • 21 Replies

Alright, here's the story...My husband is going to Korea for 10-12 months, and I would like to make a list of a years worth of crafts/activities I can do with the kids to keep us all busy. We live in northern WA state, so 90% of the year, we cant go outside. So far my list is short. I want to make a jar of Hershey's kisses for each of  my older 2, with a years worth of kisses so once a day they can have a kiss from daddy. And Im also going to make a huge calendar so they can cross off the days, but I was trying to find an actual list of stuff to do with them. My oldest starts school in September, so eventually she will be busy, but the first few months are going to be kind of trying. 

So any ideas, I would appreciate :)

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Whisper85
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this

How about buying a jar and each day have the kids write down something special they did that day or they can say how the weather was? When he comes home it will be something special for him to look through. Have a special box that you can put in there for their Daddy. Like stuff they make for him, or find that he may like? It can be "Special moments for Daddy" Just a few ideas for you :) 

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM
3 moms liked this

you can make paper chains where you tear one of every day. By the time he is due home there will only be 1 or 2 on it. I think if you did a weekly theme it would make it easier to come up with things. Example week 1 art. look up artists, Monet for example painted with dots. get bingo dabbers and paint pictures. He also has a series of pictures that are of lilys. Paint lilies. One painting is yellow lily.Let your child paint only yellow  that day. Picasso had crazy paintings point them out and make your own with either paint or buy gluing cut up pieces of paper onto contrsruction paper,Try to find a song, paint, color or glue, something each day. If you took the yellow lily painting your song could be mellow yellow teach it to your children and dance to it. Do yoga do tree pose put call it flower pose.

teach your children to cook, knit, crochet, make home made candles, jams, spaghetti sauces. Think up themes that correspond to weather, season, etc. Theres a million and 1 things you could teach them while having fun.

missamanda86
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I like that!

Quoting Whisper85:

How about buying a jar and each day have the kids write down something special they did that day or they can say how the weather was? When he comes home it will be something special for him to look through. Have a special box that you can put in there for their Daddy. Like stuff they make for him, or find that he may like? It can be "Special moments for Daddy" Just a few ideas for you :) 

missamanda86
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

This is why I post on this site loL! I am not exactly creative and I know there are a TON of creative moms here. I will have a sewing machine when we come back from vacation in January, so I can teach our daughter to sew....she could even make him a mini quilt for his birthday

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

you can make paper chains where you tear one of every day. By the time he is due home there will only be 1 or 2 on it. I think if you did a weekly theme it would make it easier to come up with things. Example week 1 art. look up artists, Monet for example painted with dots. get bingo dabbers and paint pictures. He also has a series of pictures that are of lilys. Paint lilies. One painting is yellow lily.Let your child paint only yellow  that day. Picasso had crazy paintings point them out and make your own with either paint or buy gluing cut up pieces of paper onto contrsruction paper,Try to find a song, paint, color or glue, something each day. If you took the yellow lily painting your song could be mellow yellow teach it to your children and dance to it. Do yoga do tree pose put call it flower pose.

teach your children to cook, knit, crochet, make home made candles, jams, spaghetti sauces. Think up themes that correspond to weather, season, etc. Theres a million and 1 things you could teach them while having fun.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Quoting missamanda86:

This is why I post on this site loL! I am not exactly creative and I know there are a TON of creative moms here. I will have a sewing machine when we come back from vacation in January, so I can teach our daughter to sew....she could even make him a mini quilt for his birthday

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

cool idea, sew doll clothes, and remember to take pics and mail them to daddy. He will love it you can also skype with him and show whats going on that week. I have a million other ideas I would be happy to share woith you. Huge hugs. I'm happy to see you arent going to sit back and be miserable while he is gone. You could also take pics, make those little brag books on shutterfly and mail them to him along with cookies you and the kids bake !!

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

missamanda86
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I cant just sit back and wallow in self pity lol! I have 3 kids and it wouldnt do any good. I know if they see me positive, they will be positive, and a year really isnt that long. We set up skype on his computer last weekend so i can show him how to use it, and I know he's looking forward to that. My sleep is going to be WAY off loL!!

I have no patience to sew seriously, but teaching her, I think I can do that. And I was also talking to my best friend, and she said take a few of his tshirts, and make 'Daddy pillows' that smell like him. I'd LOVE any ideas, because Im sitting here drawing a blank. I plan to write all these down, and get the stuff to do them.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

cool idea, sew doll clothes, and remember to take pics and mail them to daddy. He will love it you can also skype with him and show whats going on that week. I have a million other ideas I would be happy to share woith you. Huge hugs. I'm happy to see you arent going to sit back and be miserable while he is gone. You could also take pics, make those little brag books on shutterfly and mail them to him along with cookies you and the kids bake !!

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

why can't you go outside?

missamanda86
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Because it rains from September til June and my kids get sick too easily. Not to mention we live in an apartment complex and they cant just go outside as they please

Quoting notjstasocermom:

why can't you go outside?

Mommy2_two
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM

We my Dh was deployed I made sure to take a picture everyday and I wrote a daily journal and all that we did and what the picture was. At the end of the month I sent off the batch of pics with the journal. He loved feeling like he was a part of our lives while he was so far away. (I only had one child and she was only 2 1/2, so it may not be so easy with 3 kids)

missamanda86
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM

That is a good idea! My daughter can practice writing and i know he would love that! Anytime he has to be away for training, the field, etc he and I keep a journal for each other. 

Quoting Mommy2_two:

We my Dh was deployed I made sure to take a picture everyday and I wrote a daily journal and all that we did and what the picture was. At the end of the month I sent off the batch of pics with the journal. He loved feeling like he was a part of our lives while he was so far away. (I only had one child and she was only 2 1/2, so it may not be so easy with 3 kids)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)