Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

This is absolutely disgusting........

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think the shooting was justified??

Options:

YES

NO!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 40

View Results

Click here for the video of the shooting

The day after prosecutors cleared a police officer for shooting a man eleven times and killing him, attorneys representing the victim released a graphic video showing the shooting.

The San Joaquin Country district attorney’s office concluded that California Police Officer James Moody had been legally justified in shooting 34-year-old Ernesto Duenez Jr., but the video might bring the case back to court.

On June 8, 2011, the officer ordered Duenez to get out of his pickup truck, which was parked in the driveway of his house. Duenez was on parole and was wanted in connection with a domestic-violence incident that occurred earlier that day. When the man exited his vehicle, Officer Moody immediately opened fire, shooting 13 times and riddling the man with 11 bullets in 4.2 seconds as he rolled on the ground.

Duenez was shot once in the head, eight times in his body and twice in his extremities. Four of these shots occurred while he was already on the ground. He died shortly thereafter from gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen.

While the officer was firing his gun, the victim’s wife ran out of the house, screaming at the officer and subsequently crying over her husband’s dead body.

Moody claims he shot the victim because he saw Duenez holding a knife. An 8-inch knife with a 4-inch blade was later found in the bed of the truck, but Duenez was not carrying it at the time of the shooting. The footage also shows the victim’s foot getting stuck in the seatbelt while he was trying to exit the vehicle.

The camera footage contradicts the story told by the officer, showing a situation in which Duenez posed no threat to the police.

“This is more barbaric than even the Oscar Grant shooting,” Oakland attorney John Burris, who filed a wrongful-death lawsuit, told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Even though Duenez was a known gang member who had violated his parole by failing a drug test, prosecutors claim he was in the wrong by fatally shooting the unarmed man.

Rosemary Duenez, the victim’s mother, agreed to release the video in response to the court decision to clear the officer of the crime. After Burris showed it to her, the 58-year-old woman said she hopes the video will garner support from others.

“As heartbreaking as it is, people need to see what happened,” she told the Chronicle. “They need to know what we see, and what we’re fighting for.”

by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by ♥Tinkerbell♥ on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:04 AM

BUMP!

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by ♥Tinkerbell♥ on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:11 AM

BUMP!

mama_of_tw0
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Wow!! If the cop did do it out of being scared, than why be a cop if your that scared of people? Cops seem to pull a gun out or whatever they use, on anything, it's sad. 

Ciaodarlings
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:13 AM
This is horrible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:19 AM
Absolutely sickening
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by ♥Tinkerbell♥ on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:23 AM

BUMP!

Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think its justified, but I can't say I feel sorry for a druggy, domestic assaulting gang member either. The cop should not have gotten off for it either. How could they look at a video of an unarmed man being shot multiple times like that and think the officer did it right? If he had a reason to believe he was in trouble I could see 2-4 shots being fired... But 13?
Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Can you feel sorry for his family, losing a member of their family, having to go through the traumatic event they had to witness? I agree he needs to be punished, but there was not ONE reason a shot should have been fired. I did not see ONE. If he had a knife ON him, he could have tasered him. He could have done a lot more, but the gun was not needed at all in this situation.

Also, the officer showed clear reaction of needing to be the "winner" or "boss". If an officer shot someone and then 2+ other officers showed up, I would think most places, they would have the officer that shot away from the victim immediately.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

I don't think its justified, but I can't say I feel sorry for a druggy, domestic assaulting gang member either. The cop should not have gotten off for it either. How could they look at a video of an unarmed man being shot multiple times like that and think the officer did it right? If he had a reason to believe he was in trouble I could see 2-4 shots being fired... But 13?

mstkn.identity
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:40 AM
Wow that's so messed up and wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Uh yeah. I'm not heartless. I feel for his family, but I do not feel sorry for the man himself, just like I wouldn't feel sorry for the officer then being punished for his actions. I do agree there was no specific need for him to shoot at all.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Can you feel sorry for his family, losing a member of their family, having to go through the traumatic event they had to witness? I agree he needs to be punished, but there was not ONE reason a shot should have been fired. I did not see ONE. If he had a knife ON him, he could have tasered him. He could have done a lot more, but the gun was not needed at all in this situation.

Also, the officer showed clear reaction of needing to be the "winner" or "boss". If an officer shot someone and then 2+ other officers showed up, I would think most places, they would have the officer that shot away from the victim immediately.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)