Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why do people want schools to teach their children their religious beliefs? (ETA)

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM
  • 52 Replies

Poll

Question: Should God be included in curriculum and/or routines in public school?

Options:

Yes - assuming it is the God I believe in.

Yes - any discussion about God or a Higher Power (whether it aligns with my personal beliefs or not) should be discussed.

No - it is my job, as a parent, to teach my child(ren) about God and faith.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 76

View Results

Why is it the job of public schools to teach about God?  And, if it is the job of public schools.....who decides what is and what is not discussed about God?

To be clear:  I am not talking about religious study and religious history for purely educational purposes as a specific course in religious studies (like what might be offered in a high school or at college)......I am talking about bringing God into the classroom for prayer purposes or for discussing, celebrating, following traditions of one or two religions in a 'practicing' manner.  

If you believe THAT kind of religion should be in school, who decides what and what is not discussed or what religion is primarily followed?

by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I have no issue with schools discussing what others believe but don't want my children to be preached to or told what they should believe. I want my children to know what different religions are about. It don't feel that our beliefs are threatened by it.

singlemom1208
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM
I went to a public school, and during history we learned about different religions. We learned about Jews and Muslims too. The first time I ever heard the name Allah was at my public school. We learned a bit about creationism (the theory a higher power created the universe) and we learned the theory of evolution. I think it was all just fine. People freak out to much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Quoting Jynnifer292:

I have no issue with schools discussing what others believe but don't want my children to be preached to or told what they should believe. I want my children to know what different religions are about. It don't feel that our beliefs are threatened by it.

So, like a 'religious awareness' curriculum --- one week they learn about Christianity....the next Islam, the next Pagan, the next Bahai, the next Judaism?  Do you think that kind of curriculum is necessary in early public school years?

one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Quoting singlemom1208:

I went to a public school, and during history we learned about different religions. We learned about Jews and Muslims too. The first time I ever heard the name Allah was at my public school. We learned a bit about creationism (the theory a higher power created the universe) and we learned the theory of evolution. I think it was all just fine. People freak out to much.

So, religion IS in public schools.  So, why are so many people saying it ISN'T?

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:41 PM
2 moms liked this

There is a difference between teaching and preaching. It's important to learn about religion and culture in today's diverse and changing world.

inspain
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I believe that religion has no place in public school.  

I think fear and arrogance are behind what compells some to feel it does belong there.

(I'm not discounting the place of teaching an overview of world religions, but anything beyond that is asking for trouble.)

"If there is a God, why did he make me an Atheist?" - Ricky Gervais
doomshroom
by Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM
I think the more educated a child is about all religions, and the nature of religion itself, the better equipped they are to make their own educated decision.

That said, it is not the job of the school to teach them these things. Especially not elementary school. if high schools want to have elective religious studies classes, that's fine, but they should teach about all religions, and in no way endorse one over another.
singlemom1208
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM
I'm 28, so that was a long time ago. It was taught in a historical way. Kind integrated in the history classes. Like it or not, religion is a part of our world history. Many decisions were made because of people's beliefs. Idk why it's such and issue for kids to learn about it.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting singlemom1208:

one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Quoting JulyBabies:

There is a difference between teaching and preaching. It's important to learn about religion and culture in today's diverse and changing world.

I agree there is a difference.  

What do you think about something like this:

Dear God, 

Why do you allow violence in public school?

Concerned Student

Dear Concerned Student,

I'm not allowed in public school.

God

Obviously, the person who wrote this, and the people who adamantly agree with it as a sign of 'what is wrong', believe God should be discussed in less of an 'education about religion' context, but more of a 'preaching' context and in putting one belief higher than another.

one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I haven't talked to anyone yet who is against teaching religion in a factual, historical sense.....my question is more about people who believe God should be part of daily discussion and routine in public schools.  That religious morality and values should be TAUGHT to children in school --- not just facts and stories and history, but religious 'right and wrong'.  There are people who blame bad things happening on the fact that teachings about religious morality and values are not 'allowed' in school.

Quoting singlemom1208:

I'm 28, so that was a long time ago. It was taught in a historical way. Kind integrated in the history classes. Like it or not, religion is a part of our world history. Many decisions were made because of people's beliefs. Idk why it's such and issue for kids to learn about it.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting singlemom1208:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN