Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My friend just pointed out the fact I could probably eat a year without going to the grocery!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM
  • 57 Replies
8 moms liked this
Of course it wouldnt be like I do now but we could prob eat a year off what is in our freezer and pantry. I have my pantry almost full of food, a closet in my basement full of canned goods, and probably 50 chicken breast, 4 hams, several packs of bacon, and atleast a hundred different individually (I buy in bulk and separate) packed things of beef. I also have a ton of frozen veggies and some frozen fruit. How much food do you keep on stock in your house?

Edit

The reason I keep so much is because each week I invite a needy family to dinner and most of the time send them with a box of food too. I started this tradition when I was 18 and a teacher paid for 6 months of a apartment for me because she knew my family and I had been homeless for the last 3 1/2 years. When I first started it, I was only inviting people every other month and not giving them a box of food. Now that I am married, have a college degree and a well paying job I do it more and plan to always continue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Eventually all that frozen will go bad.   We shop by the month on first pay day of the month.  Then we buy as needed.  We do not have a pantry nor basement.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Stocking up for 12/21/12? Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
koolest_mom_of4
by The Illegal one on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
About 6 months worth ..actually just bout about 40 packages of cereal yesterday for $.50 each :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Why would you have that much? It will be bad before you can eat it. And what happens if you have a power outage? That's a LOT of wasted food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caitlin1983
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM
I'm curious too. Why so much?
ColieO
by I Rock on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Meat is good for a year in the freezer. Though we've left it longer in extra protection and it's good still.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Eventually all that frozen will go bad.   We shop by the month on first pay day of the month.  Then we buy as needed.  We do not have a pantry nor basement.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazylovingfam
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:25 AM
No the Hans are for Xmas dinner. I bought them last month on sale. I also invite a needy family to our house once a week to eat and most of the time send them with a box of food. It is a tradition I started when I got on my own feet because I grew up homeless and wondering where my next meal would come from many times. I at first only did it once every other month but now that I am better off and can afford I do it once a week.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Stocking up for 12/21/12? Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babie113
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:25 AM

we just get stuff as we need it

AngeLnChainZ
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM

That is not true...

ETA link..

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Focus_On_Freezing/index.asp#19

Quoting ColieO:

Meat is good for a year in the freezer. Though we've left it longer in extra protection and it's good still.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I volunteer to save lives; What do you do?

koolest_mom_of4
by The Illegal one on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Actually this is a very valid point ... Like I said I have about months worth of food in my freezer and I did actually have a incident where my freezer got unplugged .... It was horrible ... I almost cried. But then again I stock up when stuff is on sale and well the loss could have been so much worse had I paid full price

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Why would you have that much? It will be bad before you can eat it. And what happens if you have a power outage? That's a LOT of wasted food.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)