• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you hung up on getting your children gender specific toys?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM
  • 69 Replies

If your son wanted a baby doll or your daughter wanted a fire truck would you get it for them? 

Personally, I find it really odd that people seem to have no issue with letting a little girl play with cars and trucks but balk at the idea of letting their son play with a toy that is stereotypically a girl toy or God forbid, PINK!!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I have a 12 yo DD and a 4 yo DS.  In the past, DD has gotten many cars and DS has gotten dishes/a tea set/a doll.  We get the kids what they're into, not what we think they should like.  This year, they're both getting Legos.  :)

Beauty91805
I have no issues with it. My dd loves cars and whatnot. It's just funny that she would not ask me for them as if she feels it is wrong. And I had the talk with her so I don't know why.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blazenangel5
1 mom liked this
Nope! My 18 month old son is getting a kitchen, play food, a broom and shopping cart for Christmas. He loves helping mommy and often knocks me out by trying to "sweep" with the big broom so I got his own lol
cLanief
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Ummm I buy my kids what they want or would be cool. My son plays with my daughters toys just as much as she does so there's no need for that... I did finally buy my daughter her own bIg pink car though (only color they had) so that she didn't have to get yelled at fir playing with his lol
SpnFulOfSugar
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Nope, my boys have a toy kitchen and both you younger boys wanted cabbage patch dolls. They sleep with them everynight
-42-
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:30 AM
No, I just get them what they want/like. If my son wanted a baby doll I would gladly buy him one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:32 AM
I would get dd whatever I believe she would play with. She has tons of matchbox cars that she loves but otherwise she's very girly. The boy we are about to have can play with dolls and such if he wants, I don't understand the double standard either.
Schleetle
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I have both genders of children, and they share toys all the time. My sons have gotten dolls, dd has picked a monster truck. As long as they are having fun with it IDC.
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I'm not hung up on it, but DH is.

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I am glad to see that there are women on here with common sense. I just had someone tell me that my boys would beat up my boys because she is teaching them how to be real boys by not letting them play with girl toys..........dumb ass.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)