Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should We Trust the Mentally Ill?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM
  • 276 Replies

We've seen the tragedies of the school shootings, always turns out "mentally ill/unstable/has some kind of problem person is responsible...we have read stories like "I am Adam Lanza's Mother" and have our own stories to share of other mentally ill people. I had a woman who lived behind me who, because she didn't take her meds, stabbed her husband to death, drowned her two children, and then tried killing herself. Im sure some of you know a story or two.

But the question is, how can we trust the mentally ill? After all there is a problem afflicting their mental capacity, so most have a Rx, get it filled and are instructed how to take it. But aren't they mentally ill? How are we trusting them to take their pills on their own? The consequences are too large and unknown when or how to happen if they "slip up" or the voice in their head tells them throw them in the trash...So how do we monitor that they ARE taking their pills, they ARE maintaing sufficient treatment through therapy so they can be trusted in the outdoors? Should there be an injection form that they must appear every so often to insure they're are being treated? OR should we just simply say hey its their life, cant tell them what to do...and take the chance of another tragedy to happen...?

***this post is about the mentally ill with a history of threats and/or violence.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM
14 moms liked this

There are plenty of mentally stable people who are just as dangerous.

Thats life.

No you can not tell other people how to medicate themselves...I would not want to live in any such society.

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Well then you want to live in a society where they're shooting up schools?

Quoting christina0607:

Thats life.

No you can not tell other people how to medicate themselves...I would not want to live in any such society.

christina0607
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Unless I want crawl into a  hole and die...I guess I don't have that option. that  sucks, but yeah this is the world we live in.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Well then you want to live in a society where they're shooting up schools?

Quoting christina0607:

Thats life.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

1likeme
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM
6 moms liked this
There was a time when mentally I'll people were treated that way. It simply allowed inhumane practitioners to do dispicable things to those who were deemed mentally ill We can not even consider allowing that practice again. The biggest problem is that mental illness is not fully understood so there is very little predictability. No one can say who will be violent and who will not just based on a diagnosis or behavior at 5, 15, 25 exct. We need better interventions and more support systems for families with a loved one who is mentally ill and violent. Forced treatment is not the answer.
BabyGsMommy11
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM
I have a cousin who lives with us. He is schizophrenic. He is on a monthly injection. He has been for two years now.

The injection is at its highest dose and it no longer works. Any medical professional will tell you that a drug that works today may not work for someone who is mentally ill tomorrow.

It's a very sad way to live. People treat him as if he is a monster. And to an extent....he is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Back then they weren't allowed on the outside unless supervised. This is just showing up at your drs appt to make sure you take a weekly or biweekly dosage that keeps you leveled out so less chance of committing something like sandy hook. This is not saying to keep them locked away its prescription supervision

Quoting 1likeme:

There was a time when mentally I'll people were treated that way. It simply allowed inhumane practitioners to do dispicable things to those who were deemed mentally ill We can not even consider allowing that practice again. The biggest problem is that mental illness is not fully understood so there is very little predictability. No one can say who will be violent and who will not just based on a diagnosis or behavior at 5, 15, 25 exct. We need better interventions and more support systems for families with a loved one who is mentally ill and violent. Forced treatment is not the answer.

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Omg I'm so sorry that is very sad :(

i think they should work on something more permenant like this. Very sad

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

I have a cousin who lives with us. He is schizophrenic. He is on a monthly injection. He has been for two years now.

The injection is at its highest dose and it no longer works. Any medical professional will tell you that a drug that works today may not work for someone who is mentally ill tomorrow.

It's a very sad way to live. People treat him as if he is a monster. And to an extent....he is.

kansasmom1978
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM
12 moms liked this

The only diagnosis I have heard about Lanza was Aspergers/Autism. There is no link from just plain autism and homicidal/psychoitc thoughts. There had to be something else. 

Not to mention Autism is not a mental illness. It's a neurological disorder.

Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM
19 moms liked this

Okay, this is the first time I have openly admitted this in this group, but I am bipolar. I take my medications, and I go to my doctor to get checked and get blood checks to check my levels in my system.

While I understand this opinion, I am also kind of insulted. I have complete understanding of what you are saying, but getting injections is not the answer. The answer is awareness. It is to educate the community on mental illness. So that they know the signs of mentally instable people and know when they need to seek help FOR them. The laws need to change for involuntary committing people. I have said this many times in this group, but I just feel that the problem isn't that people are "mentally ill". You do know that 1 in 4 people have a mental illness right? That not everyone that is mentally ill or even severely mentally ill hears voices. Not everyone has different personalities. Not everyone even has mania or depression. Not everyone lacks remorse. This is far more complicated than you can understand. There is so much depth. The insurance companies need to COVER mental illness. Mental hospitals need to be under more strict guidelines of discharging patients. They discharge when the insurance wont pay anymore.

Can you understand where I am coming from?

I am a great mommy, a great wife, a great daughter, and granddaughter. I am not a danger to society. I am not a danger to others or myself.

CountYouTwice
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM
6 moms liked this

We shouldn't take them to the gun range and teach them how to shoot. I think this guys mom is partially to blame.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)