Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Civility please... Christmas and schools...

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM
  • 45 Replies
I had a thought, I'm hoping to simply open people up to the "other side"... Please keep this civil

For "war on Christmas thinkers"... The way you feel your rights are being infringed upon by not being able to have a nativity on the court house lawn and the way you feel you are being discriminated against is the same way those of other/no religions (who are speaking out) feel about having a nativity ion e court house lawn and the same discrimination.

For "get that Jesus off my lawn" thinkers... The way you feel your rights are being infringed upon by having a nativity on the courthouse lawn and the way you feel you're being discriminated against is the same way those with religion (and speaking out) feel about not having a nativity on the courthouse lawn and the same discrimination.

So where do we go from here to acknowledge all feel is as equal and valid to the feelers but that allows us to move forward together... Does the answer lay in respectful discourse and respectful joint displays? Could we actually manage a display that was both secular and non while maintaining respect to both/all sides?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM
I think people on both sides should be shunned by the rest of us, I mean really shunned, they should be eliminated from society.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM
I could support that! Lol

Quoting christina0607:

I think people on both sides should be shunned by the rest of us, I mean really shunned, they should be eliminated from society.

Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Who cares what others believe? Seriously. Let everyone believe what they want. That is their right, and SEEING something on a lawn or in a grocery store or in a school is not going to change someone's belief. If it does....their faith in that wasn't very strong.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM
I agree where private land is concerned (and I include privately owned businesses as private land)... However a public school should include all or none. For the same reasons you mentioned... Not seeing something in school isn't going to diminish your (general) faith.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Who cares what others believe? Seriously. Let everyone believe what they want. That is their right, and SEEING something on a lawn or in a grocery store or in a school is not going to change someone's belief. If it does....their faith in that wasn't very strong.

christina0607
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Give me break with this all or none crap,..you should be shunned.

Quoting terpmama:

I agree where private land is concerned (and I include privately owned businesses as private land)... However a public school should include all or none. For the same reasons you mentioned... Not seeing something in school isn't going to diminish your (general) faith.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM
What is wrong with a school representing all their students and not excluding any? If its a catholic school then just have Christmas but a public school should either include all the winter holidays or go with decorations that are more secular.

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting terpmama:

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I agree for all. Maybe then this battle of the religions can end. We can support each other and respect their faith. My only thing is people who do not have a religion. They will still complain.

Quoting terpmama:

Quoting Mama2ETA:

christina0607
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Its highly unlikely that every possible celebration will be represented in one school, and even if it were big deal if one child doesn't see their precious celebration inside there school. All this...,we have to accommodate everyone all the time...crap is sickening. People need to get over themselves and learn to deal in the real world.

Quoting terpmama:

What is wrong with a school representing all their students and not excluding any? If its a catholic school then just have Christmas but a public school should either include all the winter holidays or go with decorations that are more secular.

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting terpmama:

Quoting Mama2ETA:

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
People should be free to represent themselves in their own space or space that is not government owned. A storefront, absolutely.Why? People have the choice to go there. A court/police station/ post office/ school? Absolutely not. Why? People of all faiths are often required to gather there. They cannot, in many cases, choose not to go there because they disagree with the religious display out front.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM
I'm not saying have separate celebrations for each... But why not have menorahs, Christmas trees, snow men and goblets as decorations or crafts. Let the children chose which craft to do? Thus including all and teaching tolerance and cooperation.

Quoting christina0607:

Its highly unlikely that every possible celebration will be represented in one school, and even if it were big deal if one child doesn't see their precious celebration inside there school. All this...,we have to accommodate everyone all the time...crap is sickening. People need to get over themselves and learn to deal in the real world.

Quoting terpmama:

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting terpmama:

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)