• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone who knows about computers... HELP!!!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM
  • 19 Replies
I was using my laptop last night with no problem. But when I tried to turn it on today it won't boot. The cd drive makes a noise like it's starting and the fan turns on, but the computer never boots, the screen just stays black and there's no sound or anything coming from the computer. So, I don't think it's working at all. I have so many things on there I can't lose. Anyone who knows about computers, please help with troubleshooting. TIA
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:10 PM

just a wild guess, try turning it on - opening the CD drive to be sure there is no disc in there.. maybe there is and for some reason trying to boot off it.

LucyHarper
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Was it competely off and you are trying to turn it back on or was it just closed, like on sleep mode, and now the screen won't come on. My husband's computer does that sometimes, when he closes it, like its not shut off, just closed and in sleep mode, when he opens it again the screen will be black and wont turn on, you can hear the actual computer working, like the fan going, but the screen won't come on, so he holds down the power button to turn it off all the way and then turns it back on again and it always works. Don't know if that will work for you. 

Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM
I took the cd out that had been in there. But that didn't fix it.
mommy2nathan21
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Is it charged if the battery is to low it wont turn the screen on
Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM
That's what I thought the problem was at first. But I hold the power button until the power light turns off. Then push it again to start it. The power button is on, but the computer never reboots. The hard drive light doesn't come on either.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Was it competely off and you are trying to turn it back on or was it just closed, like on sleep mode, and now the screen won't come on. My husband's computer does that sometimes, when he closes it, like its not shut off, just closed and in sleep mode, when he opens it again the screen will be black and wont turn on, you can hear the actual computer working, like the fan going, but the screen won't come on, so he holds down the power button to turn it off all the way and then turns it back on again and it always works. Don't know if that will work for you. 

dlnimo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Mine did this too. It cost too much money to fix and if I remember correctly what the tech said it had something to do with the c drive? Not exactly sure because it was last year when it happened. Mine was a Toshiba and apparently it happened a lot with that brand. Good luck with yours!
Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:14 PM
It's plugged into an ac adapter

Quoting mommy2nathan21:

Is it charged if the battery is to low it wont turn the screen on

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM
1: Press and hold the power button till you hear a click. (5 seconds-ish)

2. Wait about a minute.

3. Try turning it on like normal.

((what is the make of the laptop?))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Mine is a Toshiba too. Were you able to save anything from your old one?

Quoting dlnimo:

Mine did this too. It cost too much money to fix and if I remember correctly what the tech said it had something to do with the c drive? Not exactly sure because it was last year when it happened. Mine was a Toshiba and apparently it happened a lot with that brand. Good luck with yours!

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM
Do it again, only after you try powering it on press and hold F2 right after you press power. if you can't get the dos safe boot prompt (by pressing and holding F2) to come up then it's fried. Sorry

Quoting Texasgal99:

That's what I thought the problem was at first. But I hold the power button until the power light turns off. Then push it again to start it. The power button is on, but the computer never reboots. The hard drive light doesn't come on either.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)