Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if you've had tendonitis before... update 2...update 3

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM
  • 26 Replies
A few days ago my brother woke up and his wrist was swollen, red and warm to the touch. Went to the doctor, they said it was a fairly uncommon form of tendonitis. Gave him a splint, some ibuprofen and saidhe'd be fine in a couple weeks. Last night he was hurting, the pain medicine wasn't working and the swelling was noticeable above the splint. This morning he woke up, swelling from fingertips to elbow. Fever, the area itself is HOT to the touch. Went to the doctor again and they just sent him to the ER for further testing. Right now he's waiting to have an MRI done.

Does this even sound like tendonitis to you? They said it was a longer name, but I only remember the tendonitis part. :)

Update: at first they were just going to keep him in the hospital overnight, now they are saying a couple of days.They're fairly sure it's some sort of infection, so they're doing antibiotics. Just hopefully they work so he can come home asap. :(

Update 2: The infection is in the blood and bone. He spiked another fever last night that they had a hard time getting down. He'll be in the hospital until Sunday, hopefully not longer. We're praying it gets better.

Update 3: they were sure this morning that he would be able to leave by tomorrow at the latest. But now they are trying to shoot for late Monday night. :( he'll still have to have a PICC (?) Line for 4-6 weeks after being released too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Fever?! Doesn't sound like tendonitis.

ColieO
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM
That's what I thought. I'm thinking some weird infection. There's no cuts, scrapes, bruises. Just the swelling, pain and now fever.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Fever?! Doesn't sound like tendonitis.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MunchiesMom324
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Eekkk... I hope they are checking him for blood clots too...

dylansmom08
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Um I've had tendonitis in my elbow and never had fever or significant swelling. So I don't think so sounds more like skin infection of some kind.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KMAsMommy9182
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

The only thing I can find about tendinitis that is rare is that it can sometimes be caused by an infection...and every website lists gonorrhea as its example.

ColieO
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Lol well he's 13 so that's not it.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

The only thing I can find about tendinitis that is rare is that it can sometimes be caused by an infection...and every website lists gonorrhea as its example.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momoftwinkies
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I have never had fever with it. Mines in my wrists and the swelling isn't really bad. Hope everything turns out ok.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KMAsMommy9182
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Well, it can still be caused by an infection, which causes fevers and swelling.  If he is at the hospital, then they can get him on iv antibiotics if needed.

Quoting ColieO:

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

ColieO
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Nothing came up on the MRI, so he is being kept overnight. They're going to try antibiotics, if that doesn't work they'll have to do surgery. :/

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

Well, it can still be caused by an infection, which causes fevers and swelling.  If he is at the hospital, then they can get him on iv antibiotics if needed.

Quoting ColieO:

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Bump for update.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)