Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindle fire for a 5 yr old!?!?!?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM
  • 51 Replies
My mom just asked if she could get my 5yr old ds one for Christmas. I was thinking more along the lines of the $30 policeman dress up kit I saw this evening! Lol

But it's her money, so if your young child uses a fire how do they do with it? Obviously he would need supervision.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormflower21
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I have a kindle fire-and I let my son play with it some -with a couple of the game apps-like kids ones-memory game and stuff...But I got him an I-pad for him for christmas-because I am hoping it will help him educatonally. I am finding a ton of educational/learning games for him to play-he's low vision so it being a much bigger screen I am hoping it will help alot-at some point as he gets into higher grades I can download his textbooks so he can have them bigger as well.

As for the Kindle-I also find kids books I can either buy cheap or even free that I can let him read (for the easy sight words one) or older books that I can read to him.. I would suggest if she gets it for him-it might be a great tool to encourage reading with him and him learning how to read... Make it known it's not a toy to take to school or to leave laying around-maybe you keep control of it (you would have to download all the stuff onto it through amazon.com anyway.. you give it to him when he's done from school (if he goes) do your night time reading from it. Etc.. just some ideas

cjgmommy05
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM
2 moms liked this

It depends on the child.  My son who is 7 has his own iPad.  He uses it for school and other things.  You should be able to put security stuff on it.  We watch our son when he is on it also we monitor his time.  

stormflower21
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM

how does he use the i-pad for school? for the textbooks??/

Jennyp05
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM
I'm 25 & don't have one lol.
inspain
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

DD got a Mac laptop for her fifth birthday.  We had a five minute discussion about dropping it or eating or drinking near it and that was it.  She never had a problem.  I think a five year old can handle a Kindle Fire.

WendyJR
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Ds is 4 and lives to use my fire. He plays games and looks at books.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM
I bought my 4 year old one for Xmas this year
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Mine are 4 & 5 and love my Kindle Fire.
stormflower21
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM

the thing is-this type of stuff is the wave of the future-the things that the kids are growing up now are of course totally different from what we grew up-heck computers were just starting when I was growing up-i didn't start doing computers in school until 5th grade-(those good old apples) now they have preschoolers starting to learn on them...At some point they are talking about incorporating kindles or some kind of e-reader in the classrooms-replacing text books-getting him started on one now might be the best thing educationally to do

danielleg1022
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM

My friend is getting her son an ipad mini.......... he's 2. I don't see the big deal as long as it isn't the only the child plays with all day long. These tablets have great apps for toddlers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)