Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need Croup experienced Moms input ASAP

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hi Moms!
For those who have experience with Croup...

This is our first go around with it. My 7yr old had it first and was out of school for a week. I got his virus in a flu/fever form but am currently doing slightly better and improving. My 11 month old is my concern. He had symptoms as of Saturday. He finally broke his fever yesterday morning and we saw the Urgent Care Doc Sunday where he prescribed Albuterol thru our Nebulizer. It got rid of the wheezing and stridor but now after being fever free for more than 24hrs his fever is back. Anyone have that happen or is this common???? I'm concerned he could be getting Pneumonia since they said that sometimes happens after Croup. He also started not eating much as of yesterday and his cough changed into something much more forceful. If he still has a temp tomorrow I'll get him into his regular PED but in the meantime what are your thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM
It is normal for a fever to spike in the afternoon and evening. But if you can't control it then it might become an issue. Not eating isn't a big deal, just make sure he is drinking lots. How high has his fever been?
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM
And for the cough getting worse I would bet that's normal too. Most things get worse until they reach a peak and then gradually taper off from there. It may be that today is his worst day and he will start to get better from here.
ffpm10
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Yes, pneumonia is very common after croup. Call the ped in the am. We are on round two of croup this year with pneumonia in between.
They'll probably have you brim him in and listen to his lungs.
And not eating much is normal. We don't eat either when we don't feel good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Stand Back my kid is an expert at getting this, she's had it 4 times and she's 5...

If he isn't eating solids give him cold foods those are soothing to the throat. Like pudding, yogurt, ice pops, ice cream, cold drinks etc. and fevers trend to come back and spike with croup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diana_B.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM
I called the Nurse advice line and she told me exactly what I thought. She said his fever shouldn't return if he's been fever free for more than 24hrs so keep doing what I'm doing and if he still has a temp tomorrow to get him back to his Doctor or the Urgent Care and said he needs to be seen again. She said he either has a secondary infection that wasnt caught or a developing infection.

Quoting ffpm10:

Yes, pneumonia is very common after croup. Call the ped in the am. We are on round two of croup this year with pneumonia in between.

ffpm10
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Pretty much. It sucks. This winter has been terrible. I'm sitting with mine now keeping an eye on his cough.
Good luck :( I know how hard it is!

Quoting Diana_B.:

I called the Nurse advice line and she told me exactly what I thought. She said his fever shouldn't return if he's been fever free for more than 24hrs so keep doing what I'm doing and if he still has a temp tomorrow to get him back to his Doctor or the Urgent Care and said he needs to be seen again. She said he either has a secondary infection that wasnt caught or a developing infection.

Quoting ffpm10:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diana_B.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:26 PM
He won't eat any of those because he's so darn picky. I tried applesauce too. I'm happy that he is chugging fluids like a trooper though.

Quoting Supervane:

Stand Back my kid is an expert at getting this, she's had it 4 times and she's 5...

If he isn't eating solids give him cold foods those are soothing to the throat. Like pudding, yogurt, ice pops, ice cream, cold drinks etc. and fevers trend to come back and spike with croup

Mrs.Velasquez
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM
So sorry. Lexy had it at 9 months. She had a temp, then horrible stuffy nose with a horse cough.

We took her to urgent care and from the car ride over there she sounded better. The cool air helped her breathing. They didn't give me for the cough, but they did give her an oral steroid. That made a HUGE difference!

I hope your ds starts feeling better and it's nothing like pneumonia
trainlady
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM

A mistake a lot of people make when they have a small child with croup is that they pick the child up and hold it very close to them, like up on the shoulder. In that position where their face is not clear the child is rebreathing the bad air its coughing out. Hold the child so its face gets fresh air while it is coughing, before and after. I would kick on the nebulizer for the night and get him to the doctor asap in the morning. I found with my children and with myself that if I breathed crisp cold air instead of warm air I stopped coughing much quicket. Just a few quick breaths of fresh cold air and I felt better immediately. You can stand in a doorway and let him breath just a few cold breaths and keep his body wrapped warmly.  Another thing is often they stop coughing so hard if they are sitting up instead of laying down. Good Luck

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

The fever coming back made me think of pnemonia - my daughter had it this past summer with a bad cough. 

Keep us posted!  I hope your little one is ok!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)