Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

That wasn't the reaction I expected.

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM
  • 96 Replies
1 mom liked this
Let me start out by saying I'm not one to attempt to bubble wrap my life. Things happen that are beyond my control and there really isn't much I can do about it. I try not to live my life in fear. What does that do, except create additional stress?

That being said, the horrible event that happened Friday has left me feeling so uneasy. I think it hit close to home because my babies are in kindergarten and 1st grade. One of the victims was born a day before dd, another on my birthday. I can't get those babies out of my head.

I've been thinking about the "what ifs" a lot. What if that happened in our town? We live in a very tiny town with only one officer. I can't imagine. That, coupled with a few close calls I read about here on cm yesterday, and a post that got me thinking about the people who truly believe the world will end Friday, made me decide to keep my kids home from school the rest of the week.

I told dh about my decision and explained why, and fully expected him to disagree and urge me to send the kids to school. At first when I told him, he didn't really say much. Later on he said "I was really hoping you would keep them home the rest of the week. I don't trust the end of the world crowd".

I know it may make me sound crazy. That's fine. I dont expect everyone to agree with my decision. Are any of you keeping your kids home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HousewifeNina
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Are you staying home from everywhere?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redhead-bedhead
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:33 AM
I went grocery shopping last night so I wont have to leave the house for the rest of the week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM
We did the same thing. Preppers plus ct no thanks. :(
epoh
by Emerald Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:35 AM
14 moms liked this
No. I have a life to live and so do my children. I won't put negative energy into the universe because that is what I will get back.
emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:35 AM

we're going shopping tomorrow. we decided that we're not going to be afraid. i understand why some would.

ashleigh24
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM
No I really try not to watch the news as much. I still haven't seen pics or anything. I like my little world without all that bad news!! My dd is going to school. Yes I think about what ifs often especially with my hubby. He is a cop. He is in investigations now but his job is still just as dangerous as when he was on the road 2 years ago. I just try to live each day to the fullest!
christina0607
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Today is the last day before winter break...so they will be home anyway.

But no I would not have kept them home.

MeghanPerez
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM
The only place we will be going is my parents house to drop some stuff off.

Quoting HousewifeNina:

Are you staying home from everywhere?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angelanscalf89
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM
I wont keep my dd home from school tomorrow. Shes very excited about her "pajama party" at school. Schools are on very high alert right now so its probably the safest its been. I have very high anxiety so it is kind of hard but keeping her home wont do her any good. If she thinks she has a reason to be scared shell be scared. Im also doing all my grocery shopping for chritmas dinner on friday then friday night were having a party at my moms house to celebrate the world NOT ending lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preemiemommy
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM
We are supposed to be getting a naaaasty snow storm tonight/tomorrow so I'm hoping school will just be cancelled Thursday and Friday. Hoping hoping hoping. I don't trust the crazies either. But I can't just not send my kid to school. He's in kk set garter and they're having their polar express day thur or fri. So yea. Just praying for a ton of snow and no school!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)