Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

any value to vhs tapes?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM
  • 16 Replies

My husband has hundreds of old VHS tapes.. most of them just things people in his family recorded from TV.  I know most of the titles are things we also have on DVD or can easily get on netflex, etc... so is there any value to the vhs tape?

Stepkids are getting pissed I want to clean up the hallway they all are stored at. Mind you, we don't own a VHS player so they are not being used.just a place for step kids to throw empty soda cans on and collect dust.

My plans are to keep/donate the ones that were like store bought, etc..  but for things recorded on TV... any value to them?

Trash comes tomorrow.... ???

Can they be recycled?

Just trying to figure out the best thing to do with them. the hallway really needs cleaned.

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mesh2
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Only sentimental value, sorry! 

sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I still watch VHS tapes cause they're cheap as hell and I'm a cheapskate. I let my husband buy blu rays, but I get my old faves on VHS at Half Price Books for a quarter. So you might be able to sell them somewhere, but not for much, and not if they're home-taped.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

BoogerBrainsMom
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Do you happen to hAve a recording of a better for worse Christmas special??????
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WarriorMum
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM

If you have particular programmes series they may be beneficial to Autism groups as many of our children have obsessions in regards to programmes movies etc that are becoming harder to find. My son still watches his VHS movies to this day and all hell breaks loose when a tape is so worn out it breaks.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I would look at different organizations that could use them possibly.  There is no monetary value to them though.

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM

My parents had a garage sale last summer. They had a video tape collection of more than 300 tapes. Someone bought all of them for 150.

I suppose that someone might want them. But if I were in your shoes, I'd just recycle them.

Bells2000
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM
most of the ones he has are star trek series, luise and clark ( not sure what that is), sliders, friends, etc. plus ive scene movies like tommy boy, a lot of comedies, etc, they arent store bought, just stuff recorded from tv.

then like the actual bought tapes are religious, mysteries of the bible, disney movies ( all those we also have 1 or 2 cop
ies of).

wuld any of it be something an autism group would want? id love it if something could be used. they literally havent been used in years and we dont own a vhs player.

when i tried to move some to see behind them, some stuck to the shelves. so not sure what codition they are in. i wuldnt donate trash

Quoting WarriorMum:

If you have particular programmes series they may be beneficial to Autism groups as many of our children have obsessions in regards to programmes movies etc that are becoming harder to find. My son still watches his VHS movies to this day and all hell breaks loose when a tape is so worn out it breaks.

Bells2000
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:48 PM
i havent scene that yet, lol. but ive only got a look at two shelves and the front of 3 others. its a giant shelf unit with 3 rows of movies front to back..

Quoting BoogerBrainsMom:

Do you happen to hAve a recording of a better for worse Christmas special??????
thatgirl70
by Carin on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:48 PM

No, nothing. I would toss them, unless it's something specifically recorded for something (like one of them happened to make an appearance on a news program or kids game show or something...). Those I would transfer to DVD.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM

The Adventures of Lois & Clark.

You know, Lois Lane (Teri Hatcher before she was a Desperate Housewife) and Superman (Dean Cain). 

Quoting Bells2000:

most of the ones he has are star trek series, luise and clark ( not sure what that is), sliders, friends, etc. plus ive scene movies like tommy boy, a lot of comedies, etc, they arent store bought, just stuff recorded from tv.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)