Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms on a tight holiday budget.

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:11 AM
  • 9 Replies

Did you get your kiddos a good amount of Xmas presents? Or not as many as you wanted? 

Or maybe nothing yet?

I see a lot of posts of the dozens of Xmas presents kids are getting, so I figured I would round up those of us who haven't had the greatest holiday season, financially, for any number of reasons. 

Me, I got laid of 2 days after Thanksgiving. Nice :/

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jukebox_Jenny
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:13 AM
We're doing ok but I still chose to make a lot of stuff for my kiddos. :) I love to save money that way!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
forsakenjewl24
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:13 AM

awww that sucks! i'm sorry! but still i'm sure your gonna have an amazing holiday spending time with family! and isn't that more important. our holiday isn't what we expected. not due to presants or anything small amount of fincial and then we know have to figure out a cutody thing with my SO's daughter. hopefull the outcome is us!

ColieO
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this
We've been ok this year, but I'm still a huge bargain shopper. I've spent many hours on Amazon lol. One of the big things this year for me was wanting to get my daughter some play food for her kitchen. I really wanted felt or wooden food though. I ended up making it. 20 sheets of craft felt, 36 different colors of thread and needles= $12.80

It would have cost $13 for one basket of 9 pieces of felt food, cheapest I found. I've already made about 15 pieces and have TONS of felt left. Enough to make a feast of food lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:22 AM
I love felt food!! And you're right...it's so cheap to make!

Quoting ColieO:

We've been ok this year, but I'm still a huge bargain shopper. I've spent many hours on Amazon lol. One of the big things this year for me was wanting to get my daughter some play food for her kitchen. I really wanted felt or wooden food though. I ended up making it. 20 sheets of craft felt, 36 different colors of thread and needles= $12.80

It would have cost $13 for one basket of 9 pieces of felt food, cheapest I found. I've already made about 15 pieces and have TONS of felt left. Enough to make a feast of food lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:26 AM

A couple pieces I did. I also have a bunch of grapes, cookies, tomato, bread, cheese, slices of meat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bertha21
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I only got my son 2 presents. He is almost 2, he doesn't need many! Plus, he is getting a lot from other family members. He is the first, and only grandbaby, so he is sooooo spoiled and loved.

pse07
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:30 AM
My kids never get a ton of stuff. Since we but them stuff thru out the year. I think their going to have a get Xmas on a budget. Since I found great deals on toys they asked for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:10 AM

well I got a good amount but nothing too crazy.  I just realized I have nothing for their stockings, so in goes an orange and a candycane and maybe a cookie.

sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM

I'm so sorry you got laid off, that's awful. I hope you found/find something wonderful soon! We are poor people, but I did scrimp and save and do layaway, so my son will be getting a few gifts. Honestly though, even if I had more money, he might have gotten more expensive gifts, but he would not have gotten much more, because I don't believe in giving children the entire toystore for Christmas, you know what I mean?

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)