Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lost my plug!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM
  • 17 Replies

Hi,

I am 39 weeks and lost my plug this morning. This is my first baby so Im a little nervous. When could labor start? I been feeling a little crampy but other than that nothing extreme and its not regular. Any one have any advice on what i can do to help make the contractions closer together? Or is waiting it out the best thing I can do? Any advice period would help greatly. Like i said Im a first time mommy everything is a mystery to me. 

Thanks,

Darlene

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
linds0712
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM
1 mom liked this
You'll know when real contractions start! It's a totally different feeling. You could go into labor now or in a week so just relax and it'll happen when you are ready. Time them and when they get close call l&d and they will tell you what to do. I ended up not going in until I had been having contractions for about 3 1/2 hrs. But the biggest thing is to just relax!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BbySummer
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I think my family is more worried about it me going into labor than i am. Everytime i turn around my phone is going off with txt messages asking if im ok. I just hope my baby comes soon. I want her! lol

MomOf2AndAZoo
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Yeah it could be a while before you go into labor. With my second pregnancy, I was sitting in the doctors office waiting to go in for my checkup when I started having mild contractions. That was early in the morning. They sent me home & said that if they got closer together, come to the hospital. Well the contractions stayed pretty mild, & I went to bed that night. It was around midnight-1 am when I woke up with STRONG contractions & had to rush to the hospital (almost an hour away). Got there just in time too lol. You will know when you need to go to the hospital. Believe me, when the contractions get stronger you will definitely know it's time to go. Congratulations on the baby, & welcome to the life of being a mom! :)

schatzi869
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Just relax. I had just finished eating fettucine alfredo and sat on the couch to watch tv when my water broke. It was this huge gush and I FREAKED. It's hilarious to think about now and I literally laugh out loud, because I flew up off of that couch and burst into the bathroom. My husband (fiance at the time) was in there taking a shower and I scared the shit out of him. I stood over the toilet gushing like a waterfall while he got  dressed and brought me dry clothes to change into. I put my undies in a bag (the doctor said to bring them so they could make sure it was amniotic fluid (what the heck else would it be, lol)). Anyways, just relax and enjoy. 

mamalove0708
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:15 AM
There's no telling with my first son I lost my plug six weeks before he was born and with my second son it was two and a half hours before he was born, I've heard walking can help drop the baby into the birth canal, u know gravity but lol I don't know if perhaps it's just to occupy the mind...either way so exciting and a little nerve wrecking, good luck honey, congrats!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:06 AM

You might have the baby in an hour from now or a day or a week, or not for a month yet.      No way to know from losing the plug (and/or cramping).

Your body knew how to line up sperm with egg, grow eyelashes and pores and taste buds and nerves in your body made a placenta and it really knows what it's doing even if "you" don't!   ;-)
Continue to have faith in your body, it WILL labor and bring your baby out of you when it's time.

That's what our bodies do!
GL!

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

doulala
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Quoting schatzi869:

Just relax. I had just finished eating fettucine alfredo and sat on the couch to watch tv when my water broke. It was this huge gush and I FREAKED. It's hilarious to think about now and I literally laugh out loud, because I flew up off of that couch and burst into the bathroom. My husband (fiance at the time) was in there taking a shower and I scared the shit out of him. I stood over the toilet gushing like a waterfall while he got  dressed and brought me dry clothes to change into. I put my undies in a bag (the doctor said to bring them so they could make sure it was amniotic fluid (what the heck else would it be, lol)). Anyways, just relax and enjoy. 

This reminds me to mention (to the OP) that water breaking doesn't necessarily mean labor either.      Like with any of these symptoms, it can be minutes or months until delivery~
So many things to mention, I guess.    lol   
Have you been preparing, taking classes, etc?    Do you feel supported?

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Just wait hun, it's only a matter of time now. The contractions might scare you at first, they sent me spiraling into a panic when I realized it, possibly cause I was half asleep and they woke me up. But you're going to have a beautiful baby soon :)

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

BbySummer
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:26 AM
1 mom liked this
We didn't take any classes. They were gonna cost a crap ton of money. We just can't afford these things. Our mothers are helping me out all they can with advice on how to breathe and how it may feel to be in labor. And yes I feel supported both sides of the family got over their differences to help us out. They have been nothing but supportive the whole time. :) I'm glad.
rmfanfgljf
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:29 AM

you will know when its time. My third baby was the only I lost my plug with. I lost it at about 9:30 the night before I had him. We went walking around wal-mart that night for about an hour and nothing happened, so we went home and went to bed, and I woke up in full blown labor the next morning. My advice would be to go to bed, get some rest because you will need it once real labor starts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)