Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hysteria

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM
  • 29 Replies

My fairies in th sky....Really?

Apparently, schools in our area (granted its only the "country/backwoods" districts so far) are starting to cancel school for Friday bc parents are calling in fearing the end of the world. So, instead of simply saying the absense will be unexcused, they are feeding in to the hysteria and cancelling school or they areleaving it up to the parents discretion and excusing it. No way in hell this level of irrationality can be healthy for these children. Especially considering that many kids are fearful of what happened last Fri in CT. Even simply fearing "other peoples reactions to the end of the world" is asinine.

Ive been assured that my daughters schools will be having classes and that any absences will be followed up that same way they always are (Drs note or they are not excused).

Oh bother.....

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:08 AM

That is crazy!

Today is the last day for my kids, they already have tomorrow off.

momto3B
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Wow, just wow.....

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Our schools are all closed here...my son said the news said there was a threat in one of the stalls of his school...I didn't see it & turned the news off.  My dh said there were multiple bomb threats to the schools in this area-also in a rural area..I'm going to look up the news station & see what I can read there, w/o the kids hearing all this crap.

RheaF
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM
There have been threats of attacks on schools all over the country. Our local PD has been put on high alert as well as the schools. IDK, I would rather play it safe, and stay home. Not fearing the end of the world, but the psychos who want to do harm.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Right???

I was joking with a mom in a post yesterday about how they were doing this in WY, which didnt surprise me (I lived there and many of th people were superstitious). I didnt expect people near a city to be so.....odd.

But most of all I just worry about the poor kids dealing with parents who fear something that doesnt exist. Hopefully they keep the reasoning for keeping the kiddos home to themselves :/

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

That is crazy!

Today is the last day for my kids, they already have tomorrow off.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Something to think about- schools receive funding based on daily attendance. The school costs X amount to operate daily. If they think there will be a high absentee rate that day and if they are struggling financially, the decision to close may be based on money rather than giving in to anything.
I'm not saying its the case, just a different petspective.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Regarding that.... the principal at my oldests school said they would not cancel school unless there was a LOGICAL threat....most of these "threats" are unfounded made simply to get a rise out of people and that while the district will look into any and all threats, they will not play fool to these. Makes sense to me.

Quoting RheaF:

There have been threats of attacks on schools all over the country. Our local PD has been put on high alert as well as the schools. IDK, I would rather play it safe, and stay home. Not fearing the end of the world, but the psychos who want to do harm.

andersongirl562
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
My DD will be staying home tomorrow. There has been a bomb threat, a threat of violence at her school also. I would rather look paranoid than be sorry. My DD is in HS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

After all the factual reports debunking this whole end of the world thing....utterly amazing.

RheaF
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM
I kinda figured it was teens trying to get a jump on. Winter break. Still, there is. Talk of attacks at stores, etc. I have nowhere I need to be anyway, so we are having a PJ day and playing games tomorrow :)

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

Regarding that.... the principal at my oldests school said they would not cancel school unless there was a LOGICAL threat....most of these "threats" are unfounded made simply to get a rise out of people and that while the district will look into any and all threats, they will not play fool to these. Makes sense to me.

Quoting RheaF:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)