Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

EDIT #2. EDIT* Do you think this is abuse? Should I report it, or stay out of it?

Posted by   + Show Post
I work for the state DMR (department of mental retardation).
I usually work Monday-Friday but my boss was in a bind and needed someone to cover today. I have only worked with this client once. She is in a wheel chair.
So the client I am working with today is a 24 hour care. Their is a third shift worker, it's a 'sleeping shift' meaning 11-8 they sleep on couch as long as client sleeps.
Anyway, I come in for 8, and the woman before me says "she has been banging on the wall since 6am, but I was just SO tired!"

I just say ok, confused, and she leaves..I go in her room, and she's on the ground, and has soiled her pants.

It just seems neglectful that the woman just ignored her. I'm sure she didn't know she was on the ground, but still!

Ok ETA**
The staff all needs to write in the company iPad every shift. Then at the end of the day, it's emailed to boss.
Almost every day people wrote that she woke up, then they let her go back to sleep..something along those words.
Then first shift almost always writes that she had either urinated or had a BM in bed.
So they are even saying they are doing these things. I don't know if there'a a point in me saying anything.. I was thinking about at least talking to her mom when she comes to visit at 2pm.

Ok edit #2.
So aggravated that people are saying *I* am not doing my job right.
I was saying that everyone knows (including family) that this always happens. I am not saying it's right, but what am I suppose to do??
I did get her up, cleaned. Asked her if it normally happens and she didn't really say anything.
I did what I could. I called my boss and told her what happened. She said "yeah I know, it's a usual thing"
I then told the mom. She says "I know, she gives everyone a hard time about using the bathroom"
I also put in the notes WORD for WORD what happened. Those go higher up then just my boss. Clients social worked.
Sorry but *I* do my job very well. Sorry everyone took it the wrong way.
Thank you to those who gave me good advice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Replies (41-50):
dsebastian23
by Platinum Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I would report her.

Bennett121
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this

Okay. well, I'm a Registered Nurse. If I were to come in on a shift and my patient was found in less than desireable circumstances here are the things that I would do: 

1) get report (I want to add that I ALWAYS do bedside report. ALWAYS) this way if there is a problem, we address it IMMEDIATELY. 

2) assess the patient for injury including the bony prominences to check for stage 1 pressure ulcers (or worse) 

3) put pt back in bed and see to her immediate needs.

4) I would make a VERY VERY VERY detailed account in my notes about the situation the pt was found in and what interventions I took to ensure client safety. 

I would be sure to mention it to whoever is your immediate supervisor. Being that you don't normally come in on this shift, a one time account isn't going to be credible in their eyes. The most you can hope for is that your written and oral report will save YOUR tail from anything later down the road. 

It sucks when you have a situation like this and you suspect abuse but don't really have proof of it. 

My recommendation is (as a professional) you keep your documentation VERY FACTUAL. This is because if something comes up later and they are called into court (you included) if you put ANYTHING opinionated in there, they will discredit your statement and tear you apart on the stand. 

Quoting Y2kmomma:

I don't know if it will continue, I don't usually work at this house.

Quoting Bennett121:

I think you need to let it go. If it becomes a pattern or if the client was harmed, then I would say differently but I would let a one time deal go. As a mother I know stuff happens and we aren't psychic. I'm sure as a caregiver it is the same. No harm no foul. 

ItsAZoo
by Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM
I would be telling her family immediately since the bosses seem not to care but I guess that's why I didn't last long in the field... I cared way more about the person than keeping the job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyRJ
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Report it. I work in nursing homes and at least they will investigate it and if it WAS wrong then okay. It sounds wrong IMO. And if your questioning it then probably
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Thats the downside to letting people sleep on a shift, they don't respect it the same as a regular job. Anywho you should speak with your boss about it, and suggest that it should be required that they check to make sure said client is dry every 2-3hrs. And that said client should be dry before passing off to the next shift.  Skin breakdown is a serious thing, and these days insurance companies aren't as willing to pay for the extra cost that they determine could have been prevented with appropriate care.  I work for a rehab hospital we make sure everyone is clean and dry, and when I work the occasional 3rd those known to be incont. we lift up covers and check to see if the brief is wet or dry(the lil line down the middle changes colors) every 2hrs.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Your edit just makes it sadder. Please report it and keep going up the chain so this poor girl can be safe and comfortable in her bed and have some dignity.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

It needs to be reported.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
keljo05
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM

my husband had a severe traumatic brain injury and needs 24hr care like that in a rehab setting. I would be LIVID if that was the care he was rcving. Yes he's hard to move as he's 6'5" but if he's lying down it usually doesn't take that long. I've done it many a time to keep him clean and comfortable.

those workers need to understand that it may be close to their leaving time.. or interrupting their sleep.. but they are being PAID to do that work.  I would definitely mention something and have it looked into.

I'm gathering that the client doesn't speak or can't speak clearly ( neither can my husband).. that doesn't mean she should get substandard care just because it's overnight.

(sorry - obviously sensitive subject for me... will get off my soapbox now, lol)

VintageWife
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Yes you should report it. I can't believe you are trying to justify it now. Just because she soils herself everyday doesn't mean she sould sit in it 2 hours while stuck laying on the floor. That's horrible and you're no better than her if you don't report it. One day she could be dying in there and that woman is ignoring it. This ticks me off! You people are in the wrong line of work if you think this is okay.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM

The client was clearing banging on the walls to get the worker's attention. She (worker) should have gotten up to see what she needed. Plan & simple. It is her job to care for these people & if it means doing it at 6am or 3am then it needs done. Not everyone uses the restroom at the same time daily. I would definitely report it as neglect of job duties.

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I'm definitely NOT trying to justify it. I have never worked in this house before (except to train).
What I'm saying is they ALWAYS do this, and it's reported to the higher up people every day! They are doing nothing. I think it's HORRIBLE but I don't know who to report it to since its already reported to higher people.
That's why I said maybe I will talk to the mom..but mom also reads the notes so I would think she would know. I don't want this poor girl living like this..I just don't know what to do. Report it to the state?? WE are the state!
My normal client - this stuff never happens. I go in at 8, sometimes she's awake, sometimes not. I always check on her when I come in. We have no issues like this in my clients home.

Quoting VintageWife:

Yes you should report it. I can't believe you are trying to justify it now. Just because she soils herself everyday doesn't mean she sould sit in it 2 hours while stuck laying on the floor. That's horrible and you're no better than her if you don't report it. One day she could be dying in there and that woman is ignoring it. This ticks me off! You people are in the wrong line of work if you think this is okay.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)