Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Calling all 1st grade teachers!!! Got a curriculum question for ya!

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM
  • 15 Replies

My oldest is 7 and is in first grade.  We homeschool.  I am very confident with all our curriculum but would like to know what you are using for geography?  I bought Beginning Geography and my ds blew through it!  He and I  really liked the book.  We both like geography.  We need a new book.  Something a little harder. I want to challenge him!!  He doesn't mind sitting and doing workbooks but I would like some more hands on things too. 

I know I will be buying a globe here pretty soon and we have a map of the world that we like to look at.  We also have puzzles for the USA and I think of the world.  I will have to go look. 

Also, any websites that you have your students using for games?  He loves to play on the computer but we limit his time on there and make sure its mostly educational games.

by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM
2 moms liked this

highlights magazine has a magazine called which way USA that I used with my kids at that age.  Each month they get a different booklet on a new state.  You could create a thematic unit and study one state per month.  Stories, regional foods, etc.  You can do the same thing with countries.  Learn a few words, try some food, watch some PBS shows about the history of that country, etc.  

Charliesmommy11
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 6:33 PM
This ! My good friend has done this with all three of her kids. They love cooking food from each country and learning about the cultures.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

highlights magazine has a magazine called which way USA that I used with my kids at that age.  Each month they get a different booklet on a new state.  You could create a thematic unit and study one state per month.  Stories, regional foods, etc.  You can do the same thing with countries.  Learn a few words, try some food, watch some PBS shows about the history of that country, etc.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
starbuckmom03
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I did not know this!  Thank you!!  I am going to pass this info on to my friend who is also homeschooling and she is starting the states with her kids in the new year.  She has asked for me to send her a couple of postcards from our state so her kids can look at them while they are learning!  She sent me 2 post cards from her state too!

Quoting NDADanceMom:

starbuckmom03
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Bump for more ideas!!

NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Me again.  LOL have you read flat stanley?  We put a map in the hall and have all the kids make flat stanleys (little paper dolls).  Just like in the book we mail stanly to friends and relatives all over the world or send him with the students and teachers on vacations.  stanly gets his picture taken next to the landmarks of that state/ country and we tape it to the wall next to a map.  We have yarn go from stanley to a pin at the location it was taken.  

You can google the flat stanley project and they have all kinds of activities and they can partner you with hosts all over the country/ world that can show stanley around if you dont know many people out of your area. 

starbuckmom03
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Yes, I have heard about Flat stanley.  That would be a great project for us!  I have quite a few friends in Europe that would help out too!

jen2150
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I homeschool as well.  This year I just started a few diffrent things for geography.  Here is what I am using.

Eat your way around the world.  It is a cooking book taking recipes from all around the world.  It also covers customs of different cultures

Galloping around the globe

Geography through Art

All of these can be found on Amazon.  I really love them all.

What are you doing for History?

MusherMaggie
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM
National Geographic--start with the website, check the store and go from there. I once gave serious thought to basing a whole curriculum on NatGeo!
starbuckmom03
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Thank for book ideas! 

For history, we are doing Mystery of History and its really good. 

Quoting jen2150:

I homeschool as well.  This year I just started a few diffrent things for geography.  Here is what I am using.

Eat your way around the world.  It is a cooking book taking recipes from all around the world.  It also covers customs of different cultures

Galloping around the globe

Geography through Art

All of these can be found on Amazon.  I really love them all.

What are you doing for History?

ShadowLark
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

AWESOME ideas!  Bump!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)