Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

O.D.D. child ruins yet another Christmas morning...

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM
  • 179 Replies
2 moms liked this
Would you ever honestly take your child's Christmas gifts away from them?? As in, permanently?? I'm about to...
The way she (9yo dd) acted this morning...on top of already having another horrible week...I just...I've had it with her.
Three times, she opened a present, looked at it like it was the most disgusting thing she'd ever seen, says (very snotty) "what IS this?? I don't even know what this is" and tossed it aside. The third time she did it really pissed me off because it was Floam that she had on her Christmas list!
As of right now, she's opened all her presents to see what they were, but she hasn't been allowed to take them out of the boxes or play with anything. I have half a mind to take them all back to the store and just get my money back rather than let an ungrateful brat keep them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM
15 moms liked this

I would not only take them away, I would make her donate them to somebody who didn't have much.

JustMe0326
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM
I agree.
Ya know, she's a very difficult person to buy things for because she's really just not into that much. So I spend a LOT of time trying to pick out the right gifts for her and then she acts like this. And when she said it about something that she had on her wish list?? Yeah, she was doing it just to be a brat.
I'm about to send her ass to bootcamp.

Quoting DanaG70:

I would not only take them away, I would make her donate them to somebody who didn't have much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I would return them to the store for sure. 

Ciaodarlings
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:31 AM
I would definitely return them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I honestly do not know what I would do.  I would perhaps let her keep them but then volunteer as a family at a food pantry or homeless shelter so that she can meet those who have less yet they are surviving fine.  Is she in treatment for ODD?

Teeny4121979
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 3:59 AM

My 15 year old has a look of disgust on every pic we took cause I didnt get him a phone card because he got that taken away for being a smart mouth the other day but its embarrassing putting up the pics !!! Ungrateful !!! Sorry you had a rough Christmas !! And all he said he wanted was clothing and cologne thats what he got !!

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Dec. 26, 2012 at 4:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree I saw a thing of face book where the parents made there son return his PS3 he was getting for Christmas and then use that money to but gifts for other children and donate them

Quoting DanaG70:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

You say this has happened before?  Did you warn her of the consequences?  Just before present opening time you should sit down with her and talk about how much work it is to find nice presents and how it feels to have her act poorly.  Let her know if she makes faces and cant appreciate all of her gifts they will be taken away.  All the gifts go if even one face is made.  

A child needs a proper warning of consequenses.  Next year or at her birthday have a talk with her that day. 

kappalopokis
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
My DS5 bust out in tears and started putting his own gifts in the trash when my DD8 opened her Cuddle Up It because he wanted a DreamLite. His Dream Lite was still wrapped and sitting on the floor touching his foot before his tantrum started. I just let him leave the gifts in the trash and told him no more, we don't give gifts to ungrateful brats.

My DH overruled me and told DS that I was expecting him to be an adult, and I was in the wrong. Then he yelled at me for not giving DS his Dream Lite as his first gift because I knew he wanted it.

These are my stepkids, so I wasn't able to stand my ground on trashing them, or DS seriously wouldn't have a damn thing left.

Poor DD was thankful and appreciative if everything. And later on DS was bullying her around trying to get her to give him a few of her gifts he wanted. She said "No you can't have these, but Tomorrow after I've had a chance to enjoy then we'll play together." So DS starts bawling again and punching DD saying he wants it now and she's being mean! DH didn't intervene until I dragged DS to his bed and told him to stay there. DH told me and DS I was out of line putting him in bed and that DS could stay up as late as he wanted!

I just took DD to her room and we watched her new movie together. She didnt deserve having her Christmas ruined by DS's rotten behavior!!!!

So yes if I had my day, absolutely I would. Kids who don't appreciate their gifts don't get them!
sweetmissy_05
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM
No I wouldn't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)