Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Running a daycare?

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM
  • 5 Replies
I have a 4 year old and am due with my second child in August. I really want to stay at home. I can't afford it so I've been thinking about running my own daycare. Anyone doing that? Was it a pain to get started? Do you make good money?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Look into your local/state laws concerning starting up a child care business.  There are so many things to think about.  How many children will you take in, at what amount do you need to hire another person,  will you accept children with food allergies or behavioral issues, etc.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM
I babysit a 1 year old ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I make about $45,000 a year (before expenses) I am now working on expanding my license to take more children.  I used $10,000 to get started and to have income while I was building my business. It can be profitable if you know what you are doing. It takes organization, planning and a lot of people skills! You have to be good with children and parents! You also have to take into consideration liability. You also have to think about your house and your own family. Bringing a business and people into your home every day is a huge deal!

The first thing you need to do is look into your state laws on Child Care licensing! In MN its a misdameanor to run a daycare business of more than one family! Im going on my 8th year now. Im here if you have any specific questions :)

preciouschild
by Sam on Dec. 26, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Other things to think about are:

what hours will you be willingly to do. I start 8 months a year at 5am. Only because I take care of 3 children whos moms work at the race track with horses. Then I go until 7pm 3 days a week because I have 2 kids who parents work different hours.

will you provide food or have them bring it. I started off providing but it was costing half of what i earned to feed the kids. So I was having parents bring food and then taking turns on bringing juice.

a bad thing is when one kid gets sick everyone ends up sick. My 3 month old got really sick where he was sent to hospital.

This summer I made about 400 a week but that was because my prices are low right now I only make 70 for 3 days but its my slow time.

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 7:25 PM

If I were to start up a day care. I'd want a part of the house separate from your family. For the kids you take in.  Like if you have a finished off basement.  That could be turned into strictly child care space. With its own bathroom.  Like the other posters say. Check the day care licensing laws in your area. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN