Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

paralegal or attorney

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 6:11 PM
  • 29 Replies

anybody know anything about this field or what the difference is between the two?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustMe0326
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a degree in paralegal studies. But I am far from an attorney. A paralegal is a lawyers assistant. We draft all the paperwork, take most of the phone calls, etc. Basically we do everything except actually go to court to represent someone. And we only make about a quarter of the money a lawyer makes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigOlBitties
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM
In my opinion if you're going to go through all the trouble to become just a paralegal you might as well be the attorney.

I honestly don't know why someone would strive to be a paralegal... unless they haven't gotten a college degree or something. I guess it's less schooling? But it's also a lot of work for a lot less money than an attorney.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Depends on who you work for. It can mean anything from a high paid secretary, to the lawyers right hand, or even presenting some things in court in the attorneys absence. The biggest difference is schooling and pay, obviously. There are things a paralegal can't be involved in because they are not an attorney.

Treymama
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM

thank you all for your replies. I am 27 and thinking about going to school to be an attorney. dh doesnt want me to do 7 more years of school (I just got done with nursing school. actually have 1 more year left). he wants me to just go for paralegal. I think I could hack the 7 years to be an attorney though. 

Megan11587
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM
About $110k. Lol. I'm a paralegal- you assist the attorney, do research, draft documents, etc. You pretty much do all of the work but a fraction of the pay
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM

My husband is going to school to be a Lawyer.

The schooling is expensive, long and if you don't go to a good law school, it's hard to find a decent job. If you're not willing to move to go to a good law school, you may just want to go for paralegal.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM
How much do paralegals make and is the job at least enjoyable?

Quoting JustMe0326:

I have a degree in paralegal studies. But I am far from an attorney. A paralegal is a lawyers assistant. We draft all the paperwork, take most of the phone calls, etc. Basically we do everything except actually go to court to represent someone. And we only make about a quarter of the money a lawyer makes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Treymama
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:19 PM

oh thats shitty

Quoting Megan11587:

About $110k. Lol. I'm a paralegal- you assist the attorney, do research, draft documents, etc. You pretty much do all of the work but a fraction of the pay

SRUsarahSC
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

yeah a paralegal is an attorney's "gofer" and they make a fraction of the money.

iuangina
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Why would it take you 7 years for law school? Do you not have a college degree? If that's the case, I would suggest something else
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)