Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

lactose intolerant

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM
  • 10 Replies
I think my daughter has acquired this. Anyone have children with this. What are symptoms?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM

my oldest was for a time.  She just got gassy and cramps.  For a year I gave her no dairy other than yougurt.  I gave her rice milk at meals.  She was fine after about a year, just yesterday she drank about a half gallon of milk (she is 17) and had no issues. 

twisted_charlie
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:42 AM

DD is. Stomach bloat, major gas, diarrhea alternating with constipation, and slow weight gain are/were the problems DD has. Eliminating dairy products over the past 1.5 years (she is 3 now) has eliminated her symptoms.

I am also lactose intolerant, have been all my life. Although over the years I have been able to start consuming some dairy. I can have a glass of milk here or there without the symptoms, but generally stay away from dairy.

kjsaes
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM
The past 3 nights my daughter has gotten up in the middle of the night either throwing up or gagging. The past two nights she has drank milk right before dinner about a half hour after she doesn't feel good and goes to sleep and sleeps through the night.

Quoting twisted_charlie:

DD is. Stomach bloat, major gas, diarrhea alternating with constipation, and slow weight gain are/were the problems DD has. Eliminating dairy products over the past 1.5 years (she is 3 now) has eliminated her symptoms.

I am also lactose intolerant, have been all my life. Although over the years I have been able to start consuming some dairy. I can have a glass of milk here or there without the symptoms, but generally stay away from dairy.

NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

That doesnt sound like intolerance to me.  Its always in the guts, not the tummy. 

Quoting kjsaes:

The past 3 nights my daughter has gotten up in the middle of the night either throwing up or gagging. The past two nights she has drank milk right before dinner about a half hour after she doesn't feel good and goes to sleep and sleeps through the night.

Quoting twisted_charlie:

twisted_charlie
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Eliminate the milk and see how she does. Does she drink milk any other time of day and have symptoms? If she has milk any other time of day and does not have any symptoms, it likely isn't an intolerance or allergy.

Quoting kjsaes:

Quoting twisted_charlie:

twisted_charlie
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Lactose intolerance can cause vomiting. But if she is drinking milk any other time of day and has no symptoms, then I agree it's not likely an intolerance or allergy.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

That doesnt sound like intolerance to me.  Its always in the guts, not the tummy. 

Quoting kjsaes:

Quoting twisted_charlie:

kjsaes
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM
She has it with cereal but she doesn't drink it. I don't know what to think it is from.

Quoting twisted_charlie:

Eliminate the milk and see how she does. Does she drink milk any other time of day and have symptoms? If she has milk any other time of day and does not have any symptoms, it likely isn't an intolerance or allergy.

Quoting kjsaes:

Quoting twisted_charlie:

mommy5912
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM

My DD is, it caused her severe constipation, alot of cramps and pains...I removed her to lcatose free milk and got rid of most other dairies and she is now fine...been 2 years

twisted_charlie
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM

The milk absorbs into the cereal. I would still cut out the milk and see how she does. There may be other symptoms that you're not noticing right off. The vomiting could just be a new symptom as it doesn't always happen, but is more obvious. If she's old enough, I would start asking her if her stomach is bothering her. If she's having trouble going to the bathroom. Your best bet would be to take her to a doctor.

Quoting kjsaes:

She has it with cereal but she doesn't drink it. I don't know what to think it is from.

Quoting twisted_charlie:

Quoting kjsaes:

Quoting twisted_charlie:

mom2devin11005
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM

my 1 year old daughter and my husband both are. Their symptoms are gurgly tummy, gas, cramping, horrible diarriah for about 2-3 days after having dairy. We just use lactose free products for them and it seems to help alot

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)