Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

piog: what is in chili seasonings (***and*** what do you like with your chili?)?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM
  • 37 Replies

What do you like to eat with your chili? Like in it, on the side, whatever... :) 

And now for my issue :( :
I am making a big crock pot of chili (smells soooo good!), however, it doesn't have enough seasonings (5 packs of chili seasoning-original). :(  I seasoned the meat but man, it sure didn't taste very seasoned (could it be because it had a higher fat content??). I mean I really, really seasoned it :( 

If I let it simmer all night, will it get more "flavor"? I may have to have my husband go get more chili seasonings :( I taste it but not a "lot" of flavor. :/  

Come check out the  ✶The Mommy Club✶
40? Almost 40? Feel 40? 40ish and beyond...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rachel Mom to Joey,  Aiden and Lydia "Irish Twins"

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Chili over white rice, that is how I grew up eating it.

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM
I like mine with corn bread dh likes his with fritos
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM
A lot of people here eat it with spaghetti noodles. I like mine with cheddar cheese on top.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Cheese on top and cornbread on the side!

My parents like there's with cheese & crushed up fritos!

LACHESIS
by Rachel in AZ on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM

YUM!! I have to watch dh's salt content (high blood pressure). I bet he would love, love, love the fritos w/chili and whatever else... (except onions. He does not like onions except onion rings deep fried). 

I never thought about rice or spaghetti noodles!  I know I am going to freeze some. I need to come up with a new crock pot soup for Sunday... again, for dinner, plus freeze for lunches.  Anyone have suggestions? Recipes?

Come check out the  ✶The Mommy Club✶
40? Almost 40? Feel 40? 40ish and beyond...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rachel Mom to Joey,  Aiden and Lydia "Irish Twins"

mishamama
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
If you have some cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, chilli powder and cayenne pepper you can add a lot more flavor than seasoning mix.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy_jessika
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Are u in Ohio ?

Quoting Paperfishies:

A lot of people here eat it with spaghetti noodles. I like mine with cheddar cheese on top.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I don't use the chili packets. I cook it all day and slowly add in the seasonings that I want until it is perfect. Also just a bit of cocoa powder helps. :)

I like either crackers or cornbread with my chili. :)

taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I always make it in the crock pot with 80/20 ground beef, onions, pinto beans, and chili seasoning.  I never buy the packaged seasoning because it just lacks the flavor we like.  This recipe is the one I typically use.  I keep a big batch of it mixed up and use it to flavor all kinds of things, not just chili.  I serve it alongside this cornbread:

2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

1 cup flour

3/4 cup yellow cornmeal

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. coarse salt

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup sour cream

1 large egg

1/3 cup sugar  (do NOT forget the sugar)

14 3/4 oz. can creamed corn

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  Butter an 8" square pan and set aside.  (I just line the pan with parchment paper)

Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.  Whisk together milk, sour cream, egg, sugar, and butter in a small bowl.  Stir in creamed corn.  Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until well combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until set and golden brown on top.  Cool slightly until cutting into squares.

Tee6393
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I love chili. I use turkey and ground beef, even fish. In any case for chili, I saute 1onion, 4 garlic cloves, adobo, red bell pepper, mushrooms add meat, til brown, dependong in how much meat 1 can of 8oz. tomato sauce and 1-2 cans diced tomatoes, 2 cans goya red kidney beans in sauce and 1 packet of chili powder to every 1lb of meat plus, salt, pepper and dash crushed red peeper flakes. My kids love it and with goya yellow rice, with some toasted taco shells, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and homemade guacomole. For.that 2-3 haas ripe avocadoes, 1/2 red onion, 1-2 garlic, fresh tomatoes and a.tablespoon of salsa or two, salt.to taste. When it comes to a boil, simmer on low heatbfor an hour or two stirring occasionally, i find the.slower and.longer it cooks the.better it is. Good luck :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)