Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can you honestly said you would stand by your kids and support them no matter what?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know its easy to say you would until you were actually put in the situation but put yourself in the situation and could you honestly stand behind your kid and support them no matter what they did?

Like with all these stories on the news,  teenagers killing their newborns, casey anthony, the mom who prostituted out her two young girls (both under 10 years old)

situations like that, could you still stand by them even if found guilty?

hopefully, none of us will ever be in a situation like that.

Teenage Mommy &Wife (ProLIFE-AntiOBAMA)

Ariannah Kate 03-07-12

I breastfeed ANYtime, ANYwhere, and would NEVER spank

I run a dog rescue, and have three "evil" pit bulls. 

March 7th 2012 && September 10 2012

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Replies (101-110):
Sweet_Carol_126
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I would not facilitate my child in wrong action.  I would love them and try to get them help.  However, I think one reason so many kids have problems is that parents come to their support and try to fix it for them when they were guilty of doing something they shouldn't and parents try to save them from punishment.  They need to take responsibility for their actions.  Too many parents think they are supporting their kids or helping them when they help them avoid taking responsibility for their actions.  So it depends on what you mean support is.   If support is love them and try to get them help, yes.  But if you mean lying for them or trying to deny or not believe something they did, that is wrong.   I would give punishment to my kids much more if they lied to me than if they told me the truth.  A lie was more serious. I needed to be able to trust what they said. 

My husband (ex) was a grocery manager and they caught a boy shoplifting.  He left the store before they stopped him and he was seen hiding the items.  He called his parent and told them he was shoftlifting and to come get him rather than calling the police on him.  The parent denied that their son would ever do something like that.  He should have called the police instead.  He was trying to give him a break and figured the parents would take care of it.  Wrong.  I've seen the same thing in the schools.  Parents come in mad at a teacher because their child was accused of something "they would never do" that.   Usually it came out but sometimes it was later on when something else happened.  We had teachers who left teaching because of things kids said (were not fired) because of the threats or upsets they had and then later the truth came out but the teacher didn't want to go back.  .  Kids need to receive discipline (not necessarily physical punishment but some consequences) for their actions so they learn self discipline and take responsibility for their actions.

nocalmegan
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:06 AM
This. Loving someone and standing by someone is different. I could never bring myself to stand by a rapist or murderer no matter who they were.

Quoting RheaF:

No, I would not. I will love my Child no matter what. However, I could not support their decision to kill, rape, etc.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I would Love my kids no matter what. I would never give up on my kids. If they do/did wrong I would support them but expect them to deal with the consequences. I would not try to fix it. I would not lie for them. I would love them always, but be very sad. I pray I never am in that situation.

nellyb118
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I will always love my children,nothing can change that but if they did something that awful I don't think I could be supportive. To me that would be like condoning what they did.
It's hard to say when you aren't in the situation though.
Jamie1972
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Yes I would. I will always love my kids. But I may hate the actions they take. If they kill or rob or do whatever lands them in jail I would find the best lawyer I can get to help them. Ive seen it done with my dad. And it was with the one child he has that he really never accepted as his son even though he is his biologically.(long story)

smcclure2005
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I know I would love my child no matter what they did. With that said if they did something like you stated above I would still love them but not condone what they did and would feel that they should have to do the time or take what punishment they get because I did not raise my kids to do anything that would cause harm to another human being in anyway. I would not condone but I would still love them and be there for them on the right levels but not by standing by them supporting what they did...absolutely

smushy79
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Yes I would. While I would not condone their actions, or support thier actions, I would support my child getting the help they need. I would not turn my back on them.

Moms2NTwins
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I have been through hell and back with my ds16...at times I wanted to know why I stood by him but in the end it was the love I have for him. I know he did wrong, I know he needed help and he got help. I didnt make excuses for him, he physically assaulted both his brothers, I pressed charges, moved him in with my grandparents and he went to counseling for almost 2 years. He is now a kid I never envisioned him to be. I am pretty proud of who he has become

hnybee1984
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I would stand by them... But that dose not mean that I have to like what they did. I will always love them but I maynot always love what they do!
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Support them?  Like support their choices?  Ummm no.  I would, however, never 'disown' my child.  I will always try to have open lines of communication.  I will always love them.  I will always push for them to do better.  If one of them were convicted of something horrible, this would not change. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)