Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can you honestly said you would stand by your kids and support them no matter what?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know its easy to say you would until you were actually put in the situation but put yourself in the situation and could you honestly stand behind your kid and support them no matter what they did?

Like with all these stories on the news,  teenagers killing their newborns, casey anthony, the mom who prostituted out her two young girls (both under 10 years old)

situations like that, could you still stand by them even if found guilty?

hopefully, none of us will ever be in a situation like that.

Teenage Mommy &Wife (ProLIFE-AntiOBAMA)

Ariannah Kate 03-07-12

I breastfeed ANYtime, ANYwhere, and would NEVER spank

I run a dog rescue, and have three "evil" pit bulls. 

March 7th 2012 && September 10 2012

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Replies (61-70):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I would support them in a way to get them help 

chalisa0
by Kim on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Yes.  I will love my kids no matter what.  Ironically, it's that same unconditional love that prevents kids from doing heinous acts like that...

mstkn.identity
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Nope. My child would be on their own and no longer allowed around me or my house. Would I still love him? Sure. Doesn't mean I have to support him or be around him.

He would be dead to me.

(PS. Everytime I post this opinion I get bashed)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LexRi0709
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:27 PM
If they were a minor I would do anything in my power to help them before they go so out of control. As an adult, I honestly don't know what I would do. I would love them no matter what, but a part of the relationship would be forever broken if they intentionally took someone's life (or anything else along those lines). I would fight to and nail to get them help before it ever got to that point, but that's what being an active parent does. Once they are an adult I can't control their behavior and punish them for it. All I can do is hope that what I've taught them has sunk in and they choose to use it to the best of their abilities.

With that said, I wouldn't disown them, unless they tried to intentionally hurt me, dh or their sibling and it wasn't insanity. Other than that they are still my children no matter what.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Exactly. Love the kid, the behavior has a consequence.

Quoting acaisha:

I honestly can say I would, because I have. When my son was charged with sexual assault I stood by him to get the help he needs. We don't have to love the things our children do, sometimes we will hate their actions to our very core. But they are our children and you can stand beside them without condoning or accepting their terrible behavioror.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaddieLainesMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I'd like to think that I'm raising my daughter in a way that the feasible situations she will try me over will be surmountable. But when I'm taking situations into account they don't range to the magnitude of what you're suggesting. I'd like to think that no matter the internal struggle I face over it I'll be standing behind my daughter no matter. That's not to say that I won't let her know if I think she's making a wrong decision or is acting in a way I don't approve of. I think in the cases like those you've mentioned previously that there is some mental illness or underlying problem affecting those people and if my daughter were in a similar state I would stand by her to get the help she needs. I wouldn't support her actions, but the person I raised and love with my whole heart. It's a difficult line to walk and while I believe these things in my heart of hearts I don't think I'd truly know how I'd act until I was faced with such a situation. 

Seagodess
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I will always LOVE my son. However if he ever commited a serious crime (rape, murder,etc) I would probably not stand by and say everything is going to be ok. I would turn his ass in. I would not pay for the best lawyers to make sure he got of light. I would want him to pay for his crime, even if that meant I only got to see him behind bars.

MissMal1
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:59 AM

This!

Except rather than being disappointed in him, I would reword it that I would be forever disappointed in the decision that he made or the way he behaved that time. I will always be proud of my son, and who he is, but I won't necessarily be proud of everything he does.

Quoting MsRkg:

I would stand by his side no matter what he did. I might be forever disappointed in him but that doesn't mean that I would give up on him and stop loving him.

Megan11587
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Standing by and supporting your child is not the same as condoning their negative behavior
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nysa76
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I love my kids unconditionally.  I can love them and not support their choices.  I would certainly attempt to get them help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN