Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are you looking at cut backs?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM
  • 64 Replies

As the doom and gloom of possibly higher prices and higher taxes, have you started to think about how you will adjust your budget, or are you just going to wait and adjust as you go?

I'm to worried about waiting to wait.  I'm going through and looking at what can be eliminated now.  Like phones... I'm a sahm, I have Internet, I have a land line, and I"m usually home, I want to go to just a plan where I can talk and text.. I dont' need data.. but I'm not sure if I can do that. Same with dh, when he is at work, he doesn't take his phone with him, he leaves it in the car, and all he really does is text and call.  So I want to go back to old phones, but I don't want a contract, so I'm going to look into prepaid.  

I'm going to invest in a bike trailer for my bike so once it is warm enough me and the kids can bike or just walk where we need to go in town instead of using gas.  

Not sure where else we could cut, need dh to sit down with me and help dwindle down expenses. I'd rather have a plan of action in place then wait. 

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

No not really.

however we live quite simply as it is. We don't use cell phones, they're a waste of money. I just can't give someone that kind of money for not only a non necessity... but what I look at as a cancer in our society.

I live in a metropolitan area, so I don't use that much gas. We make sure to be energy efficient because we love our planet.

We do what we can to keep our money in our pockets as it is. I'm a big fan of seeing the money I work hard for.

NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM

No.  We just wont save as much for a short time, or maybe not take fancy vacations.  We can do simple things like go camping. 

emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM

not really

daughteroftruth
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I want to cut the cell phones all together.  But at the same time, it is nice a nice conveniance, but we pay 140 a month for our phones, and I hate it.  If we were paying just 40 a month like were were when we first got phones, then I wouldn't care so much, but.. 140... As it is they are lines off of my moms plan and we haven't cancelled because if we do she gets hit with cancellation fees... we took over the lines from lines that she had on her contract, but the previous uses kind bailed on her. 

Other then that we do live simply, but I'm still convinced that we can cut things here and ther.. I just need to evaluate everything.  

Quoting christina0607:

No not really.

however we live quite simply as it is. We don't use cell phones, they're a waste of money. I just can't give someone that kind of money for not only a non necessity... but what I look at as a cancer in our society.

I live in a metropolitan area, so I don't use that much gas. We make sure to be energy efficient because we love our planet.

We do what we can to keep our money in our pockets as it is. I'm a big fan of seeing the money I work hard for.

christina0607
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Wow, thats a crazy amount. thats more than any one of my monthly bills. Yeah I wouldn't pay that either.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I want to cut the cell phones all together.  But at the same time, it is nice a nice conveniance, but we pay 140 a month for our phones, and I hate it.  If we were paying just 40 a month like were were when we first got phones, then I wouldn't care so much, but.. 140... As it is they are lines off of my moms plan and we haven't cancelled because if we do she gets hit with cancellation fees... we took over the lines from lines that she had on her contract, but the previous uses kind bailed on her. 

Other then that we do live simply, but I'm still convinced that we can cut things here and ther.. I just need to evaluate everything.  

Quoting christina0607:

No not really.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM
we are downgrading our cell phones but not because of that.
Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM

We already have cut our expenses down to the minimum. I have found others ways to save though still. Couponong, second hand and consignment shops for clothes. I can not justify new clothes every three months for a kid that grows like a weed.) this spring I plan on parking my car at the grocery store and taking the bus to run errands while saving gas. Do you live in a house with space for a garden? Plant a garden in the spring can what you can't eat or sell it . 

daughteroftruth
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I hate it, but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.. cancel and my mom gets charged, or tell her that we will no longer use the lines and she is stuck with the bill for those phones till she can drop the lines.  I don't like either option.  But I think the contract on dh's phone is done this spring, and mine at the beginning of the summer.   

Quoting christina0607:

Wow, thats a crazy amount. thats more than any one of my monthly bills. Yeah I wouldn't pay that either.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting christina0607:

No not really.

spooky415
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM
not really. i mean, we might not go out as much but we pretty much live below our means anyway, bill-wise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:28 PM
why don't you pay the one time cancellation fee?

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I hate it, but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.. cancel and my mom gets charged, or tell her that we will no longer use the lines and she is stuck with the bill for those phones till she can drop the lines.  I don't like either option.  But I think the contract on dh's phone is done this spring, and mine at the beginning of the summer.   

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting christina0607:

No not really.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)