Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

As the doom and gloom of possibly higher prices and higher taxes, have you started to think about how you will adjust your budget, or are you just going to wait and adjust as you go?

I'm to worried about waiting to wait.  I'm going through and looking at what can be eliminated now.  Like phones... I'm a sahm, I have Internet, I have a land line, and I"m usually home, I want to go to just a plan where I can talk and text.. I dont' need data.. but I'm not sure if I can do that. Same with dh, when he is at work, he doesn't take his phone with him, he leaves it in the car, and all he really does is text and call.  So I want to go back to old phones, but I don't want a contract, so I'm going to look into prepaid.  

I'm going to invest in a bike trailer for my bike so once it is warm enough me and the kids can bike or just walk where we need to go in town instead of using gas.  

Not sure where else we could cut, need dh to sit down with me and help dwindle down expenses. I'd rather have a plan of action in place then wait. 

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
daughteroftruth
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Quoting Bonneata:

We already have cut our expenses down to the minimum. I have found others ways to save though still. Couponong, second hand and consignment shops for clothes. I can not justify new clothes every three months for a kid that grows like a weed.) this spring I plan on parking my car at the grocery store and taking the bus to run errands while saving gas. Do you live in a house with space for a garden? Plant a garden in the spring can what you can't eat or sell it . 

I do have a place to garden, me and my sil have done a good size garden for the past two years and we are going to do better this year, hopefully when we move this spring we will find a  place so that we can have a garden as well, I'm also thinking of investing in making a small green house to help up our produce.  I'm wanting to go hunting as well... but hunting is really slim in this area.. not sure if the numbers are dwindling, or if the elk and deer have moved locations do to the wolves.  I'm working on crafts to save up and sell at the farmers market and will try selling some of my baked goods (breads, cupcakes, cookies, pretzels, ect).  WE shop second hand, and pretty much I always have.  I will be using cloth diapers on this one (did with my first four, and then off and on with number five, but I'm just going to do cloth with this baby)... I am not couping savy though.. so perhaps I need ot look at that.  I've been learning to make homemade things like shampoo, and toothpaste, and scrubs, and lotions, laundry detergent, and cleaning supplies... I mean, we will be fine.. but I'm worried still abit. 

christina0607
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM

So pay the cancellation fee for her.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I hate it, but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.. cancel and my mom gets charged, or tell her that we will no longer use the lines and she is stuck with the bill for those phones till she can drop the lines.  I don't like either option.  But I think the contract on dh's phone is done this spring, and mine at the beginning of the summer.   

Quoting christina0607:

Wow, thats a crazy amount. thats more than any one of my monthly bills. Yeah I wouldn't pay that either.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I want to cut the cell phones all together.  But at the same time, it is nice a nice conveniance, but we pay 140 a month for our phones, and I hate it.  If we were paying just 40 a month like were were when we first got phones, then I wouldn't care so much, but.. 140... As it is they are lines off of my moms plan and we haven't cancelled because if we do she gets hit with cancellation fees... we took over the lines from lines that she had on her contract, but the previous uses kind bailed on her. 

Other then that we do live simply, but I'm still convinced that we can cut things here and ther.. I just need to evaluate everything.  

Quoting christina0607:

No not really.

however we live quite simply as it is. We don't use cell phones, they're a waste of money. I just can't give someone that kind of money for not only a non necessity... but what I look at as a cancer in our society.

I live in a metropolitan area, so I don't use that much gas. We make sure to be energy efficient because we love our planet.

We do what we can to keep our money in our pockets as it is. I'm a big fan of seeing the money I work hard for.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

daughteroftruth
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Well, dh doesn't want to.. which is dumb.. but he is saying that she opened up these lines (they were not for us originally, we took them over because they were just sitting there and she could not afford them on her own), so he thinks that she should pay the cancellation fee since she has a bad habit of adding lines for people then throwing fits when they stop paying, and then asks everyone to help cover the cost of the other lines.  

so he is being stubborn. smh... 

Quoting spooky415:

why don't you pay the one time cancellation fee?

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I hate it, but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.. cancel and my mom gets charged, or tell her that we will no longer use the lines and she is stuck with the bill for those phones till she can drop the lines.  I don't like either option.  But I think the contract on dh's phone is done this spring, and mine at the beginning of the summer.   

Quoting christina0607:

Wow, thats a crazy amount. thats more than any one of my monthly bills. Yeah I wouldn't pay that either.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I want to cut the cell phones all together.  But at the same time, it is nice a nice conveniance, but we pay 140 a month for our phones, and I hate it.  If we were paying just 40 a month like were were when we first got phones, then I wouldn't care so much, but.. 140... As it is they are lines off of my moms plan and we haven't cancelled because if we do she gets hit with cancellation fees... we took over the lines from lines that she had on her contract, but the previous uses kind bailed on her. 

Other then that we do live simply, but I'm still convinced that we can cut things here and ther.. I just need to evaluate everything.  

Quoting christina0607:

No not really.

however we live quite simply as it is. We don't use cell phones, they're a waste of money. I just can't give someone that kind of money for not only a non necessity... but what I look at as a cancer in our society.

I live in a metropolitan area, so I don't use that much gas. We make sure to be energy efficient because we love our planet.

We do what we can to keep our money in our pockets as it is. I'm a big fan of seeing the money I work hard for.

daughteroftruth
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

dh refuses.. on what he calls "principal".. which is actually just stubbornness and pride... its a pretty long and complicated story. 

Quoting christina0607:

So pay the cancellation fee for her.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting christina0607:

No not really.

TableforSeven
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

We sold our cars, sold our house, and moved to Israel - to an area with a much lower cost of living.  Already cut our living expenses by 2/3.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM
I'm always looking for ways to save money. We just re-financed so we'll save over $300 a month. I switched our health insurance fromBlue Cross to Aetna and that's only saving $50 a month but the plan covers a lot more. I'm also going to see if we can lower our car insurance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyofgirl1974
by Lyn on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Yes. We downgraded to a lower cable package this past summer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trishasjunebug
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I might just move to Canada :)

HollyBoBolly
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Looks like you are off to a good start. I'm always looking for places where I can trim the fat.  I go to school using the GI Bill, work on campus, and clean my grandparents house every week.  In all I make about $2500. A huge cut from the military.  

So far I have been monitoring my energy usage as it is something I can control.  I turned my thermostat down to 62 and use a space heater since we spend most of our time in the living room. 

I live in a very small 2 bedroom house (900sqft).  I have a lot of surge protectors around my house so when I'mnot use my coffee pot or toaster, I "unplug" them. When I leave I turn off the surge protector for the tv and the other electronics.  I always wash my clothes in cold water and with just me and my son I only have 3 loads a week in all.  I use low lighting in my living room with a lamp that has an energy efficient bulb. 

My phone is the only one but I only use a quarter of my data, wish I could cut that in half, but I'm already at the lowest plan that has data.  I really like my iphone and I use it a lot. 

My biggest expenses are my car and my rent. My car will be paid off in June which will be really nice and my rent is pretty cheap. 

Health insurance and my son's karate are pretty expensive as well.  But I never got to participate in anything as a child because my parents couldn't afford it, so it is important for me that he gets to do what he loves. 

I'm doing okay.  No trouble paying the bills but I'm always looking for ideas of where I can save.  I look forward to some of the responses.

connie45
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Do you still bring in the same income?

Quoting TableforSeven:

We sold our cars, sold our house, and moved to Israel - to an area with a much lower cost of living.  Already cut our living expenses by 2/3.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)