Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

As the doom and gloom of possibly higher prices and higher taxes, have you started to think about how you will adjust your budget, or are you just going to wait and adjust as you go?

I'm to worried about waiting to wait.  I'm going through and looking at what can be eliminated now.  Like phones... I'm a sahm, I have Internet, I have a land line, and I"m usually home, I want to go to just a plan where I can talk and text.. I dont' need data.. but I'm not sure if I can do that. Same with dh, when he is at work, he doesn't take his phone with him, he leaves it in the car, and all he really does is text and call.  So I want to go back to old phones, but I don't want a contract, so I'm going to look into prepaid.  

I'm going to invest in a bike trailer for my bike so once it is warm enough me and the kids can bike or just walk where we need to go in town instead of using gas.  

Not sure where else we could cut, need dh to sit down with me and help dwindle down expenses. I'd rather have a plan of action in place then wait. 

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
Rhonda142
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM

We are on bare minimums here my son is working full time and pays us a lil rent he is almost 20 whether he is here or on his own he will be paying rent just cheaper for him to live at home so it helps him and  us. My daughter works part time on weekends so she can get things she wants. I think if we fall off this cliff my garden will get a lil bigger and my parents and my brother and sis in law and my family are all going to go in on some beef or pork to freeze and use as needed. I don't think we could change much more we just have internet and net flix we gave up cable a few years ago. I came from southern women who can and preserve alot and nothing is wasted. I also live in a mobile home and can fish all summer long out my back door. Its time to go back to basics ladies back to our roots learn how to live like our great grandparents, the ones that do will be better off.

momma-flynn
by ♥Gee Willickers♥ on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM
We could cut back a few things like reduce or cancel cable. I've been gardening & making my own bread to save a bit on groceries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM

DH's company went under in Jan 2012.  He was able to keep on a few of the clients.....but that has been our only income for a year now.  I did work part-time at the kids' school from Jan-June, but that only helped with tuition.  There wasn't enough of his work in the area we lived....so we were going to have to move no matter what.  We had always planned to move to Israel.....and people with DH's skills are highly needed here - so we decided to move to Israel instead of the few parts of the states where DH might have found work.

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Me not buying anything we don't have to have. When it comes to food and household things. I shop by the sales.  I'm not ashamed to say I buy generics when possible.   I'm not ashamed to say I shop at resales for some of my clothes. I been doing that a number of years.   I been kind of stocking up on nonperishible  food.  In case things get bad.  I been picking up as many extra hours at work they will throw my way.   I don't have a balance on any credit cards.  I locked them up in my safe. So I don't see them.  Don't get tempted to spend.  We live off of our monthly income.

DissieDothe
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Cut backs ... cut backs ... cut backs !!! Every year we go line by line through our budget. There's nothing left to cut back ... nothing that we have any control over.

I have read miser articles where people are stealing to have what they need ... like taking toilet paper from public restroom stalls and stealing college text books for the buy back bucks. That's pretty scary!

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:46 PM
We only make 20k a year. I don't think the tax increase would affect us. If it did we wouldn't be able to buy gas or pay our rent.

Rent: 835
Utilities: 50
Phones: 100
Insurance: 25
Non food stuffs: 100
Gas: 120

Dh only brings home 700 checks. The rest is food after fs runs out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

No.

MessedUpMama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM

As far as the phones go, isn't it like $10 for an added line? It is with ours. So, just have them suspended until the contract is up. You won't be able to use them any more so you won't need data or texting or anything else. It would cost $10 a month for each line you are using. Then when the contract is up for those lines, call and cancel each as the contract ends. Don't get involved again with that situation.

Cut back or turn off cable. Learn to reuse things you already have. Make do, as my Mom and Grandmother used to say. Make sure that the food you buy is the food your family will eat. If you make more than your family will eat, make sure that you have leftovers for dinner or lunch, never through food out make sure you eat it all. Freeze it if you won't eat it right away. Turn off things you are not actively using, unplug things your don't use a lot. Keep the temp. in the house lower than is perfect for you and wear layers indoors to keep warm. In the summer don't use your AC until the temp. gets over 100 degrees and then only use it to make it bearable, not comfortable. Don't go out to eat, don't go to movies, Learn to sew, knit, crochet and any other craft you can do to make things your family will wear and use. Don't use credit to buy things. If you can't pay cash you can't afford it.

There are lots of ways you can cut costs. I make my own seasoning mixes for pennies as compaired to the packages I can buy in the store. I make my own bisquick, and often make cakes from scratch because they usually cost much less than store bought. I'm planning on baking our own bread, as soon as I find a recipe that will work well for sandwiches. We got a Soda Stream, to save on costs for carbinated drinks. Plus we can controll the amount of sugar and preservatives that way. We aren't very worried about things getting harder. If it happens, we will adjust and make do with what we have. I know how to repair clothing so it will last longer, I can take old sweaters, unravel them and knit socks or gloves, or new sweaters out of them.

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:48 PM

We have a budget and we try really hard to stick to it. We have decided, however, that everyone in the family is going to start getting an allowance. So, SO will have an allowance of a certain amount of money he can spend a month and I will get the same amount. We are both bad about going out to get coffee or going on a shopping trip. Sometimes I can get careless with money so I'm working on stopping that!

We are an environmentally friendly family so we watch our electric usage (make sure to turn off lights when we don't need them) and I make my own household cleaners (vinegar and water or baking soda and water). I also use rags instead of paper towels or napkins. We live in a small town so we don't need to drive too far to get to work. This summer we plan to get bikes.

For cell phones, my SO has a nice smart phone, but I don't really need a fancy phone so I have one of those pre-paid cheap phones. We don't have a land line.

I meal plan for the week which REALLY helps to save money. We also pack sack lunches during the week so we're not eating out.

Thanks all I can think of. When it comes to saving money I try to think of something that I really want that is expensive (vacation..ect..) and I work to save for that.

Mandi812
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I am getting rid of cable

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)